Is $4/dozen pastured eggs to much? Suburban upstate, NY...

Egg price from Whole Food in NYC, sent by my son as a hint for some free eggs from home.
10388558_10203129948866500_5112927651094029446_n.jpg

Everyone who was interested in my eggs, I gave a dozen to them to try. Then if they liked them it was $4.00 a dozen or 3.50 a dozen if they kept the carton or just brought me one. I sell about 6 dozen a week and it pays for the feed (when I can find it on sale) not only for my chickens but the ducks as well and part of the dogs and cats food.

Last edited:
I have seen eggs, home grown, free ranging, from happy chickens etc, for varying prices. If people are paying you $4 for a dozen then that is well earned money. Just share it with your chickens by buying them extra treats. When I am in the supermarket and people are buying eggs from agribusiness farms for much cheaper prices, I always try to teach them about the horrid and cruel conditions in which these chickens are kept and what they are fed, which goes into making the eggs they are buying. I always point them to free range or atleast cage free eggs, which are more expensive. Often they pay attention and buy the eggs for more money and better ethics. $4 per dozen is fine.

Yes, four dollars is reasonable for free range eggs, I'm in the Smoky Mountains,NC. I have free range chickens and ducks and charge $4.00 per dozen. The local health food store, charges $6.00 per dozen for free range organic eggs. My eggs are 1000 times better then any store bought egg. Free range have more vitamins and minerals and lower cholesterol then store bought eggs. My yokes are bright orange and stand high when cracked into a frying pan. I don't even like to sell them, but I can't eat them all, laughing

Sarah,
I would let your customers set the price. If they buy at $4.00, go for it. I charge $4.00 for mine in this rural location because I sprout wheat (organic when possible) for the chickens and it is more work. But I think I'm just donating to the community as the cost of feed is so high. They are grabbing them up at $4.00 so maybe I should go higher?
Kathy

Crazyazzedtalk,

Read below, that's just one report from Motherearthnews. Do some research, I'll put my free rangers up against any eggs on the market. The taste alone is superior, besides the appearance, my yokes are Orange not pale yellow like market eggs.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom