1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is 40 degrees

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poultrybonkers, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    To cold for month old chicks? Or would they be fine?

2. meowmmy65

meowmmy65 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Toledo
    Too cold! Mine are a month old, too. Everything I've read says they need 70 - 75 degrees at this age. I've got a heat lamp on in my coop. [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Unless they're a rapid feathering breed, they don't have full feathers yet and should have a heat lamp. However, 40 degrees with a heat lamp they can use as needed is absolutely fine.

4. Pinkychick

Pinkychick Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Quote:Wow I got mine with no heat lamp and they are about a month. They do have feathers though. I did notice though that they are awfully noisy. They do have a nest box that they are cuddling in. Tonite would be there second nite without heat. Maybe I should go put a heat lamp on em?

5. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    If they are peeping loudly and huddling together then they are telling you that they're cold! Give them some heat.

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Alrighty then heat lamp goes on tonight. [​IMG] I have four silkies and two sex links that are pretty feathered and fluffly.

7. Pinkychick

Pinkychick Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Yes Ditto heat lamp is on! They aren't peeping loudly though like something is wrong just chitter chattering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by