Is 60w enough?

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
Hi, I’m expecting baby chicks in less than 2 weeks and want to be prepared. I have a heat lamp which has something called a 60 watt fire glow bulb. Is this okay for baby chicks? Also, how long do they need a heat lamp for?

I'm only on my third batch of chicks, but I have used a variety of bulbs to regulate heat under different conditions (I've brooded outdoors, where temperature swings are expected).

My hottest bulb is the 250w red bulb. I also have 150, 100, and 60watt reptile night bulbs. I once used the 40watt regular bulb stolen out of my desk lamp for one night because the 100watt was too hot and I hadn't bought the 60watt bulb yet.

The goal is to start with 95F at chick height directly under the bulb and back off the temperature about 5 degrees a week until the chicks are fully-feathered and don't need heat anymore (4-6 weeks depending on breed and conditions).

Between raising and lowering the chain and switching out bulbs I've been able to provide those conditions in ambient temperatures ranging from 85F to 45F. (Over 85F ambient I unplug the lamp unless I see them huddled).

I took this photo yesterday of my chicks cuddled under their lamp during the coldest part of the morning. They're not too hot and avoiding the lamp and not too cold and huddling together tightly.

0923211053a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom