Is 67 degrees too cold for 4 week old chicks?

Phililorp

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
We have some black australorp chicks that are currently in their 4th week (so they're 3 weeks old). They are sleeping without any heat source at night and seem to handle our 75 degree bedroom just fine. In the day we keep them outside in their run the entire day where it is around 80 degrees in the shade. The coldest it gets at night outside is 67 degrees (we measured the temp at the coldest part of night). I'm hoping to move them outside once they are 4 weeks old, but I'm wondering if dropping from 75 degrees to 67 is too large of a jump. Should I wait until they are maybe 4.5 weeks old?

I turned off heat before 4 weeks old while it was 48, 49F out at night. No problem.
Were they in a coop? We live in the tropics (Philippines) where it's warm year round so we don't have a coop and they'd just be in a covered run all night. I'm thinking of giving them a big box out there, though, so they can shelter from the wind for the first week or two.

How many is some?

2-3 they may have a hard time huddling if they need warmth. 5+ Should be plenty to huddle for warmth.

Having said that, as long as full feathered, I’d go for it.

How many is some?

2-3 they may have a hard time huddling if they need warmth. 5+ Should be plenty to huddle for warmth.

Having said that, as long as full feathered, I’d go for it.
We have 9 of them. I notice they sleep in 2 different groups at night in our room where it is 75 degrees. They also sleep in straight lines instead of a big ball like the did in their first week.

Were they in a coop? We live in the tropics (Philippines) where it's warm year round so we don't have a coop and they'd just be in a covered run all night. I'm thinking of giving them a big box out there, though, so they can shelter from the wind for the first week or two.

My chicks are raised in an outdoor brooder. So a roof over their heads and some solid walls for wind protection, but plenty of open ventilation:
brood2.jpg

You don't need a "traditional" coop in the sense of 4 solid walls, but having some walls to serve as a windbreak would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom