Is a breeder pen a good idea?

GooseyMcGee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
San Diego
We have 10 hens and a rooster. He's general a calm rooster when it comes to use humans. He's never aggressive toward me. However, the hens look terrible. They're missing a ton of feathers on their backs. He have checked for mites and other bugs but it's not they case. It's definitely the rooster pulling the feathers out.

I want to keep the rooster in a separate pen. I still want fertile eggs though. Would it be okay put a hen in the rooster pen when I want those eggs or will the rooster hurt her? The rooster pen is 3' by 6'.

How frequently do you want fertile eggs? A hen can lay fertile eggs for 2-3 weeks after a single successful mating, which is something to keep in mind. So if you can limit his time with the ladies it may help. Another option, which may also be kinder on the rooster, is by fitting your hens with aprons or hen saddles to protect their backs. They are pretty easy to make, pattern here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/424354/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern

Put the hen in with the rooster he should do his do right then a couple times then take her out. Do that once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom