1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is a "Broody Buster" supposed to be completely wire (ie no indoor part)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenshoes, Oct 10, 2015.

1. greenshoes

greenshoes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Sorry if this is a silly question guys but I am new to chickens so this is my first time with a broody hen. Most of the threads I have read say to use a chicken hutch, but these normally have a little box bit on the end. Are you supposed to block this off? Or can the hen still go inside there? I know there shouldn't be any bedding in the cage at all, just food and water, and it should ideally be raised off the ground to create a draft. Just need to know about the indoor area...

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Block it off. There are many things you can use as a mini-coop, from a small dog / cat portable kennel, to a cardboard box with chicken wire used as the base (with lots of holes for light / ventilation). I made a small A-frame design from pvc tubing, surrounded with chicken wire for hens with a low number of chicks, but i also use it to break broodiness.

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. greenshoes

Oct 7, 2015
    Great, thank you! You have been most helpful with all of my questions so far - much appreciated :)

4. greenshoes

Oct 7, 2015
    Sorry to bother you again, but how big is it supposed to be? Its for a RIR. I know its doesn't have to be huge as it isn't supposed to be comfortable, but approximate measurements? I am desperately trying to find something now before she influences the others lol

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    It doesn't need to be very big, you need room for food and water with a little moving around space.I use a live trap that is about 16" by 36" roughly Short term for breaking a broody it works well just not as a long term cage. As long it gives her a little extra room to move around size is not critical.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    When we had a broody BA, we used an available rabbit hutch for her broody buster. It was about 4' long and 2.5' high. It was all made from wood and hardware cloth. I did add a wide tree branch inside for the girl to stand on (to give her feet a break from the wire). We kept the cage inside our enclosed run so the other girls could see her and keep her company. About 3 days in there and she would be ready to re-join the flock...until the next round. She was one determined broody. I finally re-homed her to a friend that needed a broody for hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by