Is a "Broody Buster" supposed to be completely wire (ie no indoor part)?

greenshoes

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
Sorry if this is a silly question guys but I am new to chickens so this is my first time with a broody hen. Most of the threads I have read say to use a chicken hutch, but these normally have a little box bit on the end. Are you supposed to block this off? Or can the hen still go inside there? I know there shouldn't be any bedding in the cage at all, just food and water, and it should ideally be raised off the ground to create a draft. Just need to know about the indoor area...

Block it off. There are many things you can use as a mini-coop, from a small dog / cat portable kennel, to a cardboard box with chicken wire used as the base (with lots of holes for light / ventilation). I made a small A-frame design from pvc tubing, surrounded with chicken wire for hens with a low number of chicks, but i also use it to break broodiness.

CT

Great, thank you! You have been most helpful with all of my questions so far - much appreciated :)

Block it off. There are many things you can use as a mini-coop, from a small dog / cat portable kennel, to a cardboard box with chicken wire used as the base (with lots of holes for light / ventilation). I made a small A-frame design from pvc tubing, surrounded with chicken wire for hens with a low number of chicks, but i also use it to break broodiness.

CT
Sorry to bother you again, but how big is it supposed to be? Its for a RIR. I know its doesn't have to be huge as it isn't supposed to be comfortable, but approximate measurements? I am desperately trying to find something now before she influences the others lol

It doesn't need to be very big, you need room for food and water with a little moving around space.I use a live trap that is about 16" by 36" roughly Short term for breaking a broody it works well just not as a long term cage. As long it gives her a little extra room to move around size is not critical.

When we had a broody BA, we used an available rabbit hutch for her broody buster. It was about 4' long and 2.5' high. It was all made from wood and hardware cloth. I did add a wide tree branch inside for the girl to stand on (to give her feet a break from the wire). We kept the cage inside our enclosed run so the other girls could see her and keep her company. About 3 days in there and she would be ready to re-join the flock...until the next round. She was one determined broody. I finally re-homed her to a friend that needed a broody for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom