Is a cedar rabbit hutch ok?

chickenbutt

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 8, 2007
Richmond, Virginia
I read lots of posts here that cedar chips are toxic and to use pine shavings instead. Are cedar boards toxic? We just bought this at Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...ch&kw=rabbit+hutch&parentPage=search&keepsr=1 and didn't realize it was cedar until it was finished. We wanted to use it for the growing chickens until we get a shed. They have all of their feathers except for on their heads. We are getting another batch of chicks tomorrow or the next day. The front of the hutch is open with wire. The plan was to keep this in the garage at night and move it outside during the day attached to a covered run. When we get a shed I was thinking of using it for nesting boxes. Should we try to return it or can we make it work? This chicken hobby is adding up money big time. The chicks were one or two dollars apeice but all of their accessories are really expensive! AND we bought a dog kennel from Craigslist and there were no connector parts to put it all together so that was a waste of money. The woman said SORRY and hung up on us. Please say yes about the cedar coop
smile.png
If not we'll do something else because we love the pet chickies.

Last edited:
I don't know about cedar boards. As far as the kennel, go to the feed store or a Tractor Supply and they have the connector to put it together. I had to buy some. Maybe someone else can help with the cedar boards.

I don't believe that it's made out of cedar...we have the Chick-N-Barn that Ware Mfg. makes and it is outdoor grade plywood that is stained.

Doh...smacking self in forehead...we also have Ware's Rabbit Hutch...it's made out of the same materials as their Barn...so you have no worries there, atleast!
wink.png

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much! That is exactly what we wanted to hear. We did think that maybe the wood was fine and that it was coated with something that just smells nice. That is terrific. We put the hutch in the back yard this morning and put the chickens in. Today they will have fresh air. It has been so warm lately.

Quote:
That is good news. I would like to fix the kennel - it is 6'x6'x4' high. It has plenty of room for growing chickens. I can also cover it with deer or poultry netting for daytime hawk protection. Thanks for the tip
smile.png

Quote:
LOL! I went to buy 2 or 3 chicks from the fair - came home with 8. Then we ordered 7 more from mypetchicken. They will arrive by mail today! The garage is a constant juggle of animals.

I already have an interest in bantams and silkies! Those will probably come later.

Our cheap kennel needs connectors 1/2" smaller than all the ones at HD. If I can't rig it up we'll need to buy another
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom