Is a door necessary in the coop?

I flipped your coop for you...
wink.png

94868photo4.jpg

That should keep the Chickens from falling out.

I am undecided if I should go with a hinged door or a door that slides up. I am having a hard time find z-bar for the sliding door and I would hate to use substandard material on a coop that I think is my best.

I found this thread to be very informative. Thanks.

Can someone explain how to make a sliding door without using z-bar.

Cut all the pieces to frame your door out of 2x2's but leave them about 6 or 8" long.

Take a 2x2 and run it through a table saw 3/4" away from the fence, with the blade 1" high. Repeat with all pieces.

Flip the 2x2 and run it through the saw with the blade 3/4" high and 1" away from the fence, so that you cut out a dado or corner out of the wood long ways. repeat again with all pieces, except the top piece. For the top cap remove all the material on the back side of the 2x2 where the door passes though.

This provides a dado or grove for your 3/4" plywood door to travel in. Open the door to its highest point, and place a block of wood on top of the door to provide a stop.

Last edited:
Yes, you should have a door that allows you to reach all of the inside corners with a rake and shovel or broom. Depending on the size of the coop, you might also need to shorten the handles of these, by cutting them down to a more manageable length. Good luck!

Quote:
Haha! Thanks. I'll have to have my son do this the next time. I tried flipping it all sorts of ways and saved it each way only to find it was either on its side or upside down when shown in the upload. Upside down looked close enough for everyone to get the idea, so I ran with it.

Thanks for the posts. I am finding building this coop is teaching me so much about woodwork/construction and design! it is fun

Yep you are right I should have posted a pic! This house opens up to a little yard for the hens. we let them out into our main yard when we take to dog inside in the afternoon. the cardboard box door is no longer there! what do oyu think?

MontanaChickenLady - very nice coop! I've been having to close the pop door during the day to keep them out of the coop to help break my broody silkies. I open it up at night to let them back in.

Back
Top Bottom