Is a German Shepherd a good dog to be around/protect chickens?

Yeah mine is West German, a breeder cull because of her temperament. Never made it to Schutzhund. I didn't get her until she was 5 months old, then had to teach her English and start her training from scratch, and go really heavy on the socialization. She's great with everything but small flighty critters. The European working bred dogs are a whole other kind of dog than what you normally find in the US.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. With our two, both favor their east german (sires) temperment, except for the fact that Kane is very happy-go-lucky when he's off duty. Jax is all business, all the time.

my female GSD is the best dog i have ever known, i love shephards and id never not have one. she is good with all my animals, chickens, guineas, piglets, horses. i leave her loose all day with my flocks and shes fine, just sniffs them. when i first got my birds she was very interested in them and i would have to correct her when she thought she might want to play with them, but now she is fine. they do have the prey drive, she will still chase the cats sometimes but would never hurt them. basically if something shows fear of any dog it will intrigue them to maybe chase. i feel that shephards, of all breeds, are the most loyal dogs and only want to please you, they would do anything to make you happy, so thats why they are easy to train. my girl never wants to dissapoint me so she really listens when i correct her. a puppy would be more work because you would need to do more training, but no matter what breed that will be the case. i say try it, i think you will be very happy with a shephard.
smile.png

I believe I must have an American model. I do not know, she was abandoned after her owner died, she is yellow and black..so she looks grey, a sleek wolf. She has a perfect head. (The ears always tickle the vet. "They do what they are SUPPOSED to do!") She is one of the smartest dogs we have ever had, and that is saying a lot. She understands our conversations, which is starting to be inconvenient. talking in code only lasts so long before she figures it out.
She is very good with the chickens, but they are in a run. She has never chased an escapee, and will stand still and not let them pass. She sizes up a situation very quickly and figures out what we need for her to do.
We did do obedience training with her...and she does the 'sit' and 'down' so quickly, we never get to say 'down.' It's like watching a very fast version of head, shoulders, knees, and toes.

I would get a shepherd because you want one. You will have a wonderful member to your family.

Quote:
I love this post. I have GSD #2 at the moment, got her as an 8month old, she is on the timid side, which wasnt the case w/ #1, and not only do i trust her with free ranging chickens, (she lives to please me, and knows that wouldnt please me!) but she taught my DHs young hunting Lab to leave them alone too, which was no small task. I think they are beautiful loyal dogs, if thats what you want, go for it, they are great protectors if you treat them right and work with them. Good luck! (ps shes sleeps in the house at night and guards the family, my sons little corgi takes over at night, sleeps in the hay shed and trees coons, barks up a storm!)

edited to correct numerous spelling mistakes

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh boy, do I know how that is. We're running out of new words to use. Jax and Kane were taught their commands in german (DH's idea
roll.png
), but when I'm in a hurry I forget the german command and switch to english. Doesn't matter, they still understand.

Created a new word for "out" last night. Took em all of 10 seconds to figure that one out.

Quote:
Oh boy, do I know how that is. We're running out of new words to use. Jax and Kane were taught their commands in german (DH's idea
roll.png
), but when I'm in a hurry I forget the german command and switch to english. Doesn't matter, they still understand.

Created a new word for "out" last night. Took em all of 10 seconds to figure that one out.

Thats becuase you may change what you say but your body language is the exact same
wink.png
Dogs read body lauguage first and foremost and they are fluent, teaching them words comes a distant second.
big_smile.png

Quote:
roll.png

Thats becuase you may change what you say but your body language is the exact same
wink.png
Dogs read body lauguage first and foremost and they are fluent, teaching them words comes a distant second.
big_smile.png

But...but...Jamie! We try to be real casual about it, as if we are just having a conversation about the weather. Worst part is, Kane has learned to tell time. At exactly midnight he goes and stands at the living room window, knowing it's time for Daddy to come home. "Out", no matter what word for it we use, happens every two hours. Gonna take down all the clocks in the house. Maybe then I'll stand a chance.

Back
Top Bottom