Is a Lowes shed good for henhouse?

We are considering adding a Home Depot shed to our chicken area. I'm sure they will work great. Cheaper than building one and saves time as well. Happy chicken raising.

I got one of those pre-built wood sheds. It wasn't a Lowe's but it's similar to one of their wood back yard sheds. I found one that was put together and had a guy deliver it. I wouldn't recommend the metal one due to the cold, or one with drywall in it due to the moisture it might see. Mine is an 8x10 with the two doors that pull out like you'd see in most back yard sheds. I made it into a chicken coop by adding one large door on hinges that turned in. I made it out of 2x4's with chicken wire. This door is my "people" door and doesn't open into the run. By adding this door I can open it "in" so that the chickens won't come out. Since it has chicken wire over it, I can leave it closed and open the wood doors in the warmer weather to give some good light and air flow.

I cut a hole in the side that opens up to the run for a pop door I cut a hole in the wall and used the wood from the hole to put on hinges and make it a pop door. Then I built my nest boxes and put them in the in the coop and then added some roosts with 2x3's and 2x4's. I built the run around my out building and, voila, I had a coop. I have 21 laying hens that live here.

I hope you get something that works ok for you.

welcome-byc.gif

We got this shed at Lowes and have been using it since Easter for my bantams.

10683_screenhunter_01_nov_20_1059.jpg

We built a wooden frame and screened it with wire. Fit it behind the door on the right and when we open that door, the chickens can get tons of air and lay in the morning sunshine.

Between the screen door, popdoor and the two vents up top, they got plenty of ventilation...even on the hottest summer days.

Last edited:
If you're gonna spend $800 then you might as well look on kijiji or craigslist and find a carpenter who makes coops/doghouses/hutches, ect. I bet you could get a custom made job that will fit 6 hens for about $600...that's what they run in my area.

I lined my shed on the floor and sides with linoleum! (vinyl) It works great, and with a strw bed about 10-12 inches thick, it never gets to heavily soiled. I can mop it out with bleach, which is really handy.

wow THANK YOU - excellent points and ideas, (was thinking a wood shed i could stand in...) much to ponder over... thank you

Back
Top Bottom