Is a muscovy A good duck?

Muscovy do get along with other ducks. I do find they sometimes cause a bit more trouble for my other ducks. They get in a hormonal mood and just like to cause some trouble. Otherwise, they get along really well. I did have an issue with my drake and he ended up on the dinner table. He picked on my Pekin, and I believe it had a lot to do with her tail sticking up. Dominate ducks tend to have their tails up, and he didn't like that about her. They will take a bit of time learning how to communicate with one another. They don't quiet speak the same language and take a bit to get use to each other. So expect some misunderstanding. They also sometimes fight in a very dramatic way, but I have yet to see anyone get hurt.

I would also recommend clipping their wings so they can't fly away. They breed rather prolifically if you don't control them, so it is best to keep them on your property. They can potentially raise two clutches in a year, but they may depend on where you live. They are great at raising young and can be very protective of them. I have found even ducklings I raise indoors, they accept them first out of my flock and look after them.

Overall they are a bit more hardy than the other domestic duck breeds. They can be very sweet and easy to care for. They are more likely to hang out with us when we work in the yard compared to my other ducks. They swim as much as the mallard breeds, but they still love water.

Muscovy do get along with other ducks. I do find they sometimes cause a bit more trouble for my other ducks. They get in a hormonal mood and just like to cause some trouble. Otherwise, they get along really well. I did have an issue with my drake and he ended up on the dinner table. He picked on my Pekin, and I believe it had a lot to do with her tail sticking up. Dominate ducks tend to have their tails up, and he didn't like that about her. They will take a bit of time learning how to communicate with one another. They don't quiet speak the same language and take a bit to get use to each other. So expect some misunderstanding. They also sometimes fight in a very dramatic way, but I have yet to see anyone get hurt.

I would also recommend clipping their wings so they can't fly away. They breed rather prolifically if you don't control them, so it is best to keep them on your property. They can potentially raise two clutches in a year, but they may depend on where you live. They are great at raising young and can be very protective of them. I have found even ducklings I raise indoors, they accept them first out of my flock and look after them.

Overall they are a bit more hardy than the other domestic duck breeds. They can be very sweet and easy to care for. They are more likely to hang out with us when we work in the yard compared to my other ducks. They swim as much as the mallard breeds, but they still love water.
Thank you! You are your drake? Poor drake!😂

Autocorrect can create some amusing sentences
Ooh! Ooh! I gotta good autocorrect-gone-wrong story!

I'm a teacher, and I used to run a community service club at my previous high school. One year, we did a holiday gift drive where we granted the wishes of disadvantaged and seriously ill children. We answered their letters to Santa.

Well, club president - super nice, straight A student who is now in law school studying immigration policy - sent out a reminder to club members about answering the "letters to Satan."
:gig:lau 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂

So I'm thinking about getting some muscovy ducks but would like to know more about them! Do the hens go broody once a year? Are they friendly? Can they live with my other ducks? The breeds are KC hookbill and a pekins (the pekins lives alone because of his leg problem)
Muscovies are wonderful. They are not true “ducks” or related to other domestic ducks, all of which are descendants of mallards. Muscovies are a very old South American tree bird, or ”duck”, introduced to Europe, some say, by Russians thus the name Muscovy, others say by Spanish conquistadors. They are good mothers, be watchful, they like to hide their nests out while foraging. They are cautious but friendly, smart, very curious, forage well, eat LOTS of bugs, and slugs. They need water to eat with and like to take baths but do not have the water instincts/needs other ducks have. They do like to fly up! Roof tops, etc. Most get too heavy as they get older but we have a 15 yr old who still can get up on the roof and we have to coax her down with treats. She sits on the roof of her house to sleep, just under the coop roof, more than in the house. They need the same protection from predators as any domestic fowl. Their eggs are rich, make good omelets and great for baking. I don’t eat my birds, but people say their popular meat taste like chicken meat. I have only had 2 aggressive birds out of dozens in 35+ yrs of raising them, one was a drake, the other a duck….both got rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom