Quieter duck breeds?

"except muscovies. but they aren't really ducks are they?" Yes they are that is why they are called Muscovy ducks they are just not Mallard derived like all other domestic ducks.:)
I loved my Muscovy she was the sweetest little girl and I miss her everyday. One of the best ducks I’ve had!! I heard Muscovys weren’t that fond with swimming but she hopped in the pool everyday and ran around excited ☺️
IMG_9022.jpeg

Metzer recommended Khaki Campbell and Cayugas as their quietest breeds. I got a few of each. They females are very chatty and will shout when they see me, but don't seem to be as obnoxiously loud as Perkins. They chat amongst themselves during the day, and will get a bit louder if they are out of food or water. The males talk a little less and their quack is quieter anyway.
I love my Pekins obnoxious racket but then I don't have neighbors close enough to be bothered by it lol! I'm considering getting a couple more ducks and thought about the khakis cause of their high egg production but the metzer catalog has them as a 9 on their crazy meter lol, more nervous and skittish. I have Swedish ducks as well as the Pekins, which are low on the meter but though I've had some of them since ducklings they're still rather skittish/high strung and were since we got them. They've calmed down some but definitely huge difference between them and the Pekins. Was wondering what your experience has been with the khakis as far as being skittish or panicky or not bad?

Metzer recommended Khaki Campbell and Cayugas as their quietest breeds. I got a few of each. They females are very chatty and will shout when they see me, but don't seem to be as obnoxiously loud as Perkins. They chat amongst themselves during the day, and will get a bit louder if they are out of food or water. The males talk a little less and their quack is quieter anyway.
I’ve thought about khaki campbells! Honestly I didn’t know pekins were very very loud to people, I lived around female pekins and have a male Pekin and no neighbor complaints (surprisingly) because I would hear them quacking in the house 😅 so honestly anything quieter than pekins would be considered quieter for me

I’ve thought about khaki campbells! Honestly I didn’t know pekins were very very loud to people, I lived around female pekins and have a male Pekin and no neighbor complaints (surprisingly) because I would hear them quacking in the house 😅 so honestly anything quieter than pekins would be considered quieter for me
Khakis are good layers too. One of my Metzer khakis started laying at 4 months.

I love my Pekins obnoxious racket but then I don't have neighbors close enough to be bothered by it lol! I'm considering getting a couple more ducks and thought about the khakis cause of their high egg production but the metzer catalog has them as a 9 on their crazy meter lol, more nervous and skittish. I have Swedish ducks as well as the Pekins, which are low on the meter but though I've had some of them since ducklings they're still rather skittish/high strung and were since we got them. They've calmed down some but definitely huge difference between them and the Pekins. Was wondering what your experience has been with the khakis as far as being skittish or panicky or not bad?
Well these khakis and Cayugas are my first ducks ever so I don't know how to compare. They won't let me pick them up even at 6 months but they do shout and run towards me at feeding time. I'd probably compare them to Brown Leghorns (not pets like my Speckled Sussex or Golden Wyandotte chickens). I guess that's a good thing because they free range outdoors.

It's true. My cayugas are louder than my Khakis
Looking it up Welsh Harlequins and Cayugas were said to be some of the "quieter" breeds. Boy, did the Cayugas like to talk! They had something to say about every little thing. My Welshies were a little quieter, but I can't say by much.

Back
Top Bottom