Quieter duck breeds?

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
Probably a common question, but what duck breeds are best for neighborhood situations? My neighbor kept pekins, no problems with neighbors, and I had a Muscovy who never made a peep. Are there any other breeds anyone can think of?

interesting question. My pekins are loud mouths sometimes but not every day. my neighbors dont mind them, its the geese they dont appreciate so much.
The thought that first came to my mind was hoping for a quiet duck is like hoping for a dry water. or wet fire.
except muscovies. but they aren't really ducks are they?
on second thought, I have noticed my welsh harlequins are quieter than my other breeds. and my khaki campbell isnt too loud either. its somewhat subjective though - you might think something is loud that i consider quiet. and vice versa. sorry im not very much help. but its fun to think about.

My 3 Welsh Harlequin, Blue Swedish, and Cayuga are all really quiet.

The only times they aren't really is when they're laying an egg. For some reason they start egg laying at like 2am. But it's not top of their lungs yelling - i can't hear it through the closed windows. It was only annoying when I had them in my bedroom lol.

If they're hungry and they hear me coming outside then they'll briefly quack too.

interesting question. My pekins are loud mouths sometimes but not every day. my neighbors dont mind them, its the geese they dont appreciate so much.
The thought that first came to my mind was hoping for a quiet duck is like hoping for a dry water. or wet fire.
on second thought, I have noticed my welsh harlequins are quieter than my other breeds. and my khaki campbell isnt too loud either. its somewhat subjective though - you might think something is loud that i consider quiet. and vice versa. sorry im not very much help. but its fun to think about.
I was thinking the same 😆 My Pekin drakes are so chatty and my Pekin lady, Penelope, is a loud mouth boss! We call her the mouth of the flock. Our other ducks are Swedish (blue, black and silver) and though they can quack loudly, it's only here and there and is almost a dry quack but Penelope's is loud and strong all the time. We love her for it though, would be dull without her. Even though the boys are noisy it's more raspy so not nearly as loud as Penelope. I can't hear them with the windows closed but I can hear her.

Looking it up Welsh Harlequins and Cayugas were said to be some of the "quieter" breeds. Boy, did the Cayugas like to talk! They had something to say about every little thing. My Welshies were a little quieter, but I can't say by much.

"except muscovies. but they aren't really ducks are they?" Yes they are that is why they are called Muscovy ducks they are just not Mallard derived like all other domestic ducks.:)

Metzer recommended Khaki Campbell and Cayugas as their quietest breeds. I got a few of each. They females are very chatty and will shout when they see me, but don't seem to be as obnoxiously loud as Perkins. They chat amongst themselves during the day, and will get a bit louder if they are out of food or water. The males talk a little less and their quack is quieter anyway.
Probably a common question, but what duck breeds are best for neighborhood situations? My neighbor kept pekins, no problems with neighbors, and I had a Muscovy who never made a peep. Are there any other breeds anyone can think of?

Back
Top Bottom