Is a muscovy A good duck?

Yes to all questions. If they have plenty of food, etc. they will nest year around. Mine lost her nest last week to flooding water. I noticed yesterday that she was already looking through nesting spots/dog carriers. They seem to prefer a covered nest and medium dog carriers are just the right size. From now on I plan to put the carriers above the ground so flooding won't take any more nests.

Many people have muscovys in our area and, as a result, they do not sell well. Yesterday I noticed on craig's list someone giving them away.

In personality and intelligence, I find muscovys superior to other breeds.
Do you know if they are friendlier than breeds like khaki Campbell, hookbill, Indian runners, pekins and welsh harliquin? I love muscovy ducks!

My muscovy are sweet enough, but not always sweet to each other or my runners. The 2 muscovy girls that I currently have do not hang out together and do not get along. I have to pen and house them separately. I have 3 drakes currently, the youngest 2 came from the same nest and they get along well enough, but tussle quite a bit. There's no blood shed or anything so they are still hanging around. They always want to tussle with their father and he runs from them so usually theres no issue except they are housed separately as well.
My original 4 were hand raised and hand fed somewhat. My 2 youngest males were mama raised and I didn't hand feed because I didn't want to get attached as I had planned to rehome them. They will come close enough to me when food is involved, but they don't get too close which is fine by me. Since they aren't as tame, they are harder to care for if first aid is needed. But, I've figured out ways to do it.
The males seem more sociable than the females, but the females also are social (like they love to be the first in line of I'm digging in the dirt).
It works well for all of them when they can free range. But, this past year I've lost 3 ducks to a fox. So, they are penned more than they are out.
Muscovy hens are pretty broody. Mine go broody at least 3 times during the year. Multiply that by how many females you have, and it's a neverending circus of trying to break broody hens unless you want them to brood. They can brood quite a full nest - so if that's your intention, then it's a good breed. I took advantage of one broody duck and had her hatch out some polish eggs. My hatch rate wasn't good and the 2 survivors I had to brood in a brooder due to mama duck antics and the physical differences between ducklings and chicks.
Their eggs are rather large, so if you eat duck eggs that's a bonus. They are good at foraging and they are good at catching insects too.
Obviously they are pretty quiet compared to their mallard derived cousins.

Last edited:
That’s interesting they are hard to find where you live in Peru, I’ve always read it is one place where there are wild Muscovies. Modern domestic Muscovies have been bred to be heavier, and for other traits, but the earliest indications of domesticating them is from the Mochica culture in southern Peru 2000 yrs ago!

The meat is hard to find, it is not for sale in any of the street markets or supermarkets. I think its because people who raise muskovys are doing it for themselves, not to sell farm raised meat.

Living muscovys are very easy to buy, but people dont buy live ducks just to kill them (unless it is around christmas or easter) they are more expensive to buy alive.

My muscovy are sweet enough, but not always sweet to each other or my runners. The 2 muscovy girls that I currently have do not hang out together and do not get along. I have to pen and house them separately. I have 3 drakes currently, the youngest 2 came from the same nest and they get along well enough, but tussle quite a bit. There's no blood shed or anything so they are still hanging around. They always want to tussle with their father and he runs from them so usually theres no issue except they are housed separately as well.
My original 4 were hand raised and hand fed somewhat. My 2 youngest males were mama raised and I didn't hand feed because I didn't want to get attached as I had planned to rehome them. They will come close enough to me when food is involved, but they don't get too close which is fine by me. Since they aren't as tame, they are harder to care for if first aid is needed. But, I've figured out ways to do it.
The males seem more sociable than the females, but the females also are social (like they love to be the first in line of I'm digging in the dirt).
It works well for all of them when they can free range. But, this past year I've lost 3 ducks to a fox. So, they are penned more than they are out.
Muscovy hens are pretty broody. Mine go broody at least 3 times during the year. Multiply that by how many females you have, and it's a neverending circus of trying to break broody hens unless you want them to brood. They can brood quite a full nest - so if that's your intention, then it's a good breed. I took advantage of one broody duck and had her hatch out some polish eggs. My hatch rate wasn't good and the 2 survivors I had to brood in a brooder due to mama duck antics and the physical differences between ducklings and chicks.
Their eggs are rather large, so if you eat duck eggs that's a bonus. They are good at foraging and they are good at catching insects too.
Obviously they are pretty quiet compared to their mallard derived cousins.
What do they sound like? How many eggs can they hatch? (In one brood)

Back
Top Bottom