Is a week old too young to go in coop?

mom22alcorns

Chirping
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Kansas City, Kansas
Hey BYC gurus
big_smile.png
I have 5 silver laced wyandottes and 5 barred rocks that turned a week old on Thursday. They started out in the kitchen in a kiddie pool with a chicken wire top and a heat lamp. They now are getting their wing feathers and "flying" around like crazy. Pine shavings everywhere...lol Anyway, DH couldn't take it. So they are in the coop now with pine shavings and a large piece of plywood blocking most of the door. They have the heat lamp also. They seemed to love being able to run and flap around, and really liked the branch I put in there for them to roost on. They were sooo cute all lined up on it
tongue.png
My question is, the temps here are in the 90's during the day, and the upper 70's/low 80's at night. I plan to run the lamp at night only for warmth and security for them. Will they be warm enough this way? Are they too young to be outside? I have no other chickens right now, so they are alone out there. What do you all think?

They should be fine as long as the temps are warm enough ... I should think. Mine got booted out into the big wide world at 3 weeks (in summer only though lol)

My 3 day old chicks often go right out into the brooder coop. No reason to have them in the house if you can give them food, water, and heat outside without drafts. It's usually mid 30's at night, mid 40's in the day, with occasional snow when my chicks go outside.

I think I miss them being in the kitchen...lol All the cheeping and running aroiund was cute.
tongue.png
I am just worried they will be scared or get too cold out there. But you guys are helping me settle my nerves....lol:barnie

Being a responsible parent you care that all is well with the little ones. I remember my first bunch leaving the house and moving outside in the late winter. I was a wreck! I checked on them allthru the night for a couple of nights. They huddled together for warmth despite 2 heat lamps. I was so worried! After a few nights they adapted to the colder temperatures and I slept better, too.

PS lights won't keep away predators. Secure their home well. GL

It sounds like you have a good plan for your chicks! I put my first chicks out in the coop at 3 weeks in the middle of winter. They had the heat lamp and the coop was heated with an ambient temperature of around 70 degrees. They enjoyed the extra room and settled in nicely. Monitor your temperatures and yours should be fine! Congrats on your new chicks!
smile.png

Thank you all!
love.gif
I put a timer on their lamp and it seems to be working great. Went out and checked them 3 times tonight so far and they were all piled up snoozing the first time, the second time they were all running around eating and flapping their wings looking happy, and the third time half were in a pile snoozing and the other half were on the branch I put in there down low in case they wanted to roost. They sure seem happier in the coop...
jumpy.gif

Mine were in the coop from day 1...in a brooder...but in the coop anyhow. It was in the 50's at night...but the lamp kept them plenty warm.

By the time they feathered out, they were on their own....! Now they are giving me eggs!

Back
Top Bottom