Is all hope lost? 5.5 week mix chick gender

3Dewdrops

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
PNW, Oregon
I was going to wait til they turned 6 weeks on Thursday, but it was nice and sunny out so I *tried* getting pics.
The chick with white outlined feathers is half light brahma(from mama). The other's mom was an OE. I do have a fuzzy pic of their dad somewhere, but I don't know his breed. The comb on the half brahma started changing colors a couple weeks ago.
I'm assuming they are both cockerels, but since I am brand new to chicken keeping, would love if someone with experience could let me know if there is any chance left of either being a pullet.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210510_220005.jpg
    20210510_220005.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210510_215730.jpg
    20210510_215730.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210510_215653.jpg
    20210510_215653.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
They both look highly like cockerels *Young roosters* but i think theres still a good 20-30% chance one could be a hen, its a bit young to fully tell. Until about 7 weeks would be awesome! But the pictures were very well taken, and i think there is a chance for one being a hen .

I was pretty convinced even a couple weeks ago. ☹ I'm not allowed roos.
Oh, thats horrible. We arent either, but i wonder if keeping them indoors would be alright? *Assuming your not aloud by the law where you live and not because of family and such* im not sure, mine arent old enough and havent done enoughr research, i just wonder because it wouldnt be noisy for people to hear snd it wouldnt pick fights?

Oh, thats horrible. We arent either, but i wonder if keeping them indoors would be alright? *Assuming your not aloud by the law where you live and not because of family and such* im not sure, mine arent old enough and havent done enoughr research, i just wonder because it wouldnt be noisy for people to hear snd it wouldnt pick fights?
It would definitely be a case of both. I wish there was a workaround for it though. They both make good pets so far. I'm just going to hope it takes a long while for them to start crowing.

It would definitely be a case of both. I wish there was a workaround for it though. They both make good pets so far. I'm just going to hope it takes a long while for them to start crowing.
Thats so sad. It really depends, in certain areas your aloud to have roosters like as long as they arent noisey and etc, do the research and i do have good news. You can legally have a rooster, you justhave to get in contact with them and they may let you have it, if not you pay a small fee, which isnt bad.

Keeping chickens (not chicks) inside? Unless you want poop on everything you own I wouldn’t recommend it. You’d also need it make a section in your house for dust bathing, eating, drinking, sleeping, and you’d then have to provide them with outside time. It’s cruel to keep chickens indoors all day everyday. Unless if they’re sick, injured, or there is a major weather disaster. If it’s for a short time, and it’s benefiting them in someway I agree, but if it came down to keeping them being inside their whole life’s or killing them I’d go with killing them.

I hope you can find someone to take them. You have until they are about 4-5 months old before you need to worry about crowing.
Thats so sad. It really depends, in certain areas your aloud to have roosters like as long as they arent noisey and etc, do the research and i do have good news. You can legally have a rooster, you justhave to get in contact with them and they may let you have it, if not you pay a small fee, which isnt bad.
I agree that this might be a possibility. Just before you go getting a permit for a rooster you need to know that unless you have enough hens for them both to have their own flock (I say at least 10 a flock to stop over mating) it won’t do your hens very good. You also need to consider the fact that you need enough space to fit two separate flocks. Roosters fight so they definitely won’t do very good in the same area, especially if your backyard is small.

I’m sorry if this sounded like a was criticising you @Chicken poppy i just don’t want them to end up being cruel to their roosters. Overall I think you had some good suggestions :)

Last edited:
Keeping chickens (not chicks) inside? Unless you want poop on everything you own I wouldn’t recommend it. You’d also need it make a section in your house for dust bathing, eating, drinking, sleeping, and you’d then have to provide them with outside time. It’s cruel to keep chickens indoors all day everyday. Unless if they’re sick, injured, or there is a major weather disaster. If it’s for a short time, and it’s benefiting them in someway I agree, but if it came down to keeping them being inside their whole life’s or killing them I’d go with killing them.

I hope you can find someone to take them. You have until they are about 4-5 months old before you need to worry about crowing.

I agree that this might be a possibility. Just before you go getting a permit for a rooster you need to know that unless you have enough hens for them both to have their own flock (I say at least 10 a flock to stop over mating) it won’t do your hens very good. You also need to consider the fact that you need enough space to fit two separate flocks. Roosters fight so they definitely won’t do very good in the same area, especially if your backyard is small.

I’m sorry if this sounded like a was criticising you @Chicken poppy i just don’t want them to end up being cruel to their roosters. Overall I think you had some good suggestions :)
Ah no i tottally understand, im not th ebest but i meant if they were friendly and of course were okay with it you could add a diaper on? Some like it. Anyway my friend does it and it works out fine for her, but whatever would work :D

Back
Top Bottom