Is an Automatic Chicken Door Worth $225

That's awful for you. Automatic doors are wonderful as long as they work. I could not afford to replace this one if something goes bad on it. Good luck with your new one.

Has anyone from a cold weather state with severe weather used one of these auto chicken pop doors in the ice and snow areas? How do they hold up? Any problems ?
thanks
Marc

I would agree with Mac. If you can tuck in the hens every night and use the automatic door that would work fine. But I just cannot imagine with all the predators roaming, looking for a meal, anyone would just rely on the auto door to tuck in the chickens, and the for you to go off to bed, something ain't right about that picture. The only animal I've ever had that was not looked after at night, or tucked in, was cows. My horses were always put in at night. My dog comes in. I just think it can give you a false sense of security.

I'm just saying don't trust the auto door for the save all.

Quote:
Hi Marc,

I live in southern NH so we're a bit colder up here. I bought and installed this auto door opener and have been very pleased with it. You can read about my particular installation here.

I had the same concerns, so I made sure that the door is well-protected from the elements. On the rear of my coup where the chickens exit, I built a little vestibule area. You can see pictures of this here (scroll down a bit for a couple views of the white vestibule).

So to conclude, I would do all that you can to provide cover.
wink.png

I also have this auto coop door http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/installation-video/ I've had it about 2 weeks, it installed super easy and aside from a power outage from a storm the door has worked perfectly. I really enjoy the fact that the chickens get out at first light instead of waiting for me. Its a real convenience knowing that if I am out after dark my chickens are locked in. Just because you have an automatic door doesn't mean you don't care for your chickens anymore, you still monitor the chickens and care for them, its a convenience thing and I am happy my hub bought it for me.

We hadn't had power outage in 2 years but alas with my new auto coop door the first weekend storm and bam no power. I am looking into a battery back up to kick in when the power went out because it does mess up the timer and that did suck, glad I was home and no away for the weekend. So a small bug to work out and it will be awesome.

I would never totally trust any auto door. I think they are great if used with caution and the expectancy that something unforseen could happen. Anything can malfunction no matter how well built. I can see the Pullet Shut Auto-door from my pantry window. I look out the window before I go to bed every night. So far it has worked perfectly. I will have to wait and see how cold Virginia winters affect it. I know that I will have to keep any snow from obstructing the opening. The "vestibule" is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom