Is anyone else buying land?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by holliewould, Jul 25, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I need land cause I NEED more chickens. Property is dirt cheap especially in Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, and Texas. I want to snag up some of the land but am scared to since I don't live anywhere near these states. But the price......it's almost irresistible. I should have had this done by May 2007 haha, but something told me to hold off for another year. Think property prices will continue to decline? Anyone else in the middle of buying land?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I just bought 3+ acres and a farmhouse for $62,000. [​IMG]

3. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:In PA? What a steal.

4. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Yes my friend they will decline. But not for much longer. Everybody has a breaking point and homes that WERE for sale are now up for rent.
    As for vacant land. Here in Fl they are down to as little as $7000. to $10,000. per acre for a 5 acre lot. Yes I am a real estate agent. But I took my license out of activity 'cause it didn't make any sense to pay such high dues and not earn a living. I had to find other things to do....LIKE CHICKENS! [​IMG]

5. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Hmmmmm My boss has a lady friend in Trenton. That has chickens. That is a realtor, now waitress. That wouldn't be you would it? [​IMG]

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Just a word of warning. Don't buy land unless you go and look at it first. I hear that there are some scams going on, in addition to the usual concerns one should have when purchasing real estate.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Out west, just be sure you have water rights and ask about mineral rights. Heck, even in TN, people dont realize in certain areas, one family owns the mineral rights to most places and they dont come with your land.

8. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:I gotcha. Right now I'm just trying to pick out a location. Preferably somewhere I might know someone. I'm stuck on a dang island so my resources are a bit limited, besides central Florida. I'm going on vacation for 2 months here soon and would like to nip this in the bud if I can. You know, just get it over with and go from there.

9. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    Only if it comes with a house [​IMG] We want to downsize our house and upsize our land.

10. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    Wow, Shellie, that is incredible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by