Is anyone else interested in cars and motorsport?

Pics
Governing bodies for motorsport....
In Australia, the main one is Motorsport Australia (MA) They are run under the FIA I believe. The national championship, (ARC) state, and club level rally events are all run under MA.
There is also the Australian Motor Sport Action Group (AMSAG) which is only in my state, NSW, I think.
They were formed when many years ago, many members of MA didn't like how they were doing things, so formed their own group. They run their own smaller championships, and the events are more old fashioned, small, low entry fee events.

Anyway, MA has got to the point, where they are driving their members away in droves. You now need a full medical (including ECG) to get your licence, and then every two years once you turn 45.
They require copies of all your medical records. Basically, they don't want anyone over the age of 45, so are making as hard as possible for those over that. Which is just silly, because that is where all the knowledge is.
Many entry fees (partly some clubs fault, not all MA) have gone from $600-$800 to $1200-1500
Is any of this the same in the US?

Oh, and you have to be able to get out of the car in under 10 seconds.....in the service park. A lot of good that will do, when you're wrapped around a tree.
But it doesn't matter if you have no first aid training, obviously that isn't important!
That's ridiculous. Why chase off knowledgeable people? And no first aid training?? 🙄

That's ridiculous. Why chase off knowledgeable people? And no first aid training?? 🙄
Because of insurance....it all came about because some people with more money then driving ability had some bad crashes at a tarmac event over the last few years.
I think 4 people died in the same amount of years at this one (tarmac) event. Which is very sad, no doubt about that, and they did need to do something.
But they are just going about it the wrong way, and putting gravel rally and tarmac rally in the same basket.
Gravel rally doesn't get to near the same speeds of tarmac, and most people in it, dare I say, just have a bit more sense and knowledge.
It gets really silly, when co-drivers also need full medicals to 'keep the drivers safe' if something happens to the co-driver, the driver will just slow down and stop. It won't cause a crash.
I don't really know what the solution is, but it isn't what they are doing.
First aid training would be a good place to start, and a lot less costly!
I am just so fed up with it all, if it carries on the sport will just die out.

Because of insurance....it all came about because some people with more money then driving ability had some bad crashes at a tarmac event over the last few years.
I think 4 people died in the same amount of years at this one (tarmac) event. Which is very sad, no doubt about that, and they did need to do something.
But they are just going about it the wrong way, and putting gravel rally and tarmac rally in the same basket.
Gravel rally doesn't get to near the same speeds of tarmac, and most people in it, dare I say, just have a bit more sense and knowledge.
It gets really silly, when co-drivers also need full medicals to 'keep the drivers safe' if something happens to the co-driver, the driver will just slow down and stop. It won't cause a crash.
I don't really know what the solution is, but it isn't what they are doing.
First aid training would be a good place to start, and a lot less costly!
I am just so fed up with it all, if it carries on the sport will just die out.
Keep in mind, this isn't all on MA. Their insurance carrier is dictating what they need to do in order to maintain their coverage and reduce the insurance company liability risk. They don't WANT to have to pay out claims, it's bad for shareholders. The underwriters at the insurance agency are bean counters, not people who understand motosport. They see statisics that say they're paying claims to old men who are crashing in races and so they're penalizing MA for having old men in races. (for example)

Some of it is still probably MA not thinking it through as well. Sanctioning bodies around the world tend to look for "all in one" solutions to cover as many things as possible and make it simpler to regulate. That can backfire on occasion.

Just gonna put these here 20240320_094947~2.jpg 20240320_095003.jpg

Nothing a sawzall and some zip ties can't fix :)
I think this one might need a little more then a zip tie....although normally of course they will fix anything!
Realistically, radiator and rad supports, (the supports are a hard to get bit, but we should be able to make something work) re-do the bashplate and bashplate supports, and straighten out the subframe.
Oh, and find a new bumper :)

Back
Top Bottom