Is anyone else made fun of because they like chickens?

Hey there,

I've had my share of being teased about my chickens too....sometimes it bothers me, but more often it doesn't. It is AMAZING tho how little people know or understand about poultry or animals in general.
A cool person, a good person tho, will sit and listen and even watch the birds....and before you know it you have another chicken addict on your hands! lol

If you ask me, the ones who won't listen or even grant a minute of understanding about keeping chickens as pets are the ones with the issues----and it often shows in their tastes and behaviors.

In general I have come to believe that animal lovers, chicken lovers included, are the best people to know. :)

Take Care,
Bill.

Nope. But then again I work on a "teaching" farm.
There are two of us "crazy chicken girls" now that I am there.
lol.png

I have only been addicted to chickens for a little over a year and have infected my 13 year old as well. He is lucky that his group is the brainy group, sometimes there is teasing, not cruel, but he takes in catalogs and such and now there is curiosity and maybe a few converts. Cherish your real friends, they are valuable, and learn to ignore the idiots, the world is full of them and if you give them the power they will make you miserable. There is nothing wrong with having the capacity and willingness to love any creature but there is something wrong with lacking it.
As I type my son sits on the couch with my sleeping OEG Millie snuggled in his lap. There is nothing like the joy in having the complete trust of a chicken or any animal for that matter.

Yes Im a crazy chicken lady, people at work tease me but its all in fun, better that then being made fun of because of weight! I try to get everyone to get a few chickens, people say Im like a drug addict pushing chicks on everyone. Its fun.

Lots of good advice & encouragement here, but one thing I wanted to ask is,

Is there any local 4-H or other "chicken friendly" youth groups in your area???

It is good to come to BYC for advice & support (!!!!), but it would be REALLY GREAT for you to meet other people your own age that have similar interests, I bet you could find some GREAT friends, and also others who deal with some of the issues that YOU do!!!

A group of like-minded peers would be a wonderful thing, it's HARD to feel alone, even for adults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom