Is anyone locking down for Avian flu?

Some good ideas regarding toys etc. I have a bit of a problem regarding my ducks-I only have 5 but they make such a mess! I don't know what people do who have more-it was bad enough when they only slept in there but now they are in all day the sawdust and straw is getting very wet from the water I am having to put in there-enough for them to splash in. I only did my big clean just before the flu scare (luckily) but it's getting dirty and wet already. That's my only real problem regarding the birds-they all get on brilliantly so thank goodness no fights or anything.

Some good ideas regarding toys etc. I have a bit of a problem regarding my ducks-I only have 5 but they make such a mess! I don't know what people do who have more-it was bad enough when they only slept in there but now they are in all day the sawdust and straw is getting very wet from the water I am having to put in there-enough for them to splash in. I only did my big clean just before the flu scare (luckily) but it's getting dirty and wet already. That's my only real problem regarding the birds-they all get on brilliantly so thank goodness no fights or anything.
It is definitely more difficult to keep on top of the mess they make now they're constantly inside. I just go out once or twice a day and clean up their droppings.

I've just noticed that small birds might be able to get through the green mesh on the sides of your run, and they'd be tempted in because of the feed. You could put something over it to keep them out?

Hi Beth

Anti sparrow netting ordered and should be here today.

Am shattered with all the DIY and nervous tension. Have also fallen twice on my muddy garden ha ha. Roll on the 6th.

Paula
yippiechickie.gif

Hi Beth

Anti sparrow netting ordered and should be here today.

Am shattered with all the DIY and nervous tension.  Have also fallen twice on my muddy garden ha ha.  Roll on the 6th.

Paula :yiipchick
That's good, I've also used some small-holed netting to cover the hatch to allow some ventilation around the coop. I did have larger-holded wire over if but birds and vermin could probably fit through it (we have lots of rats round here unfortunately) so I covered it up with smaller stuff. I'm just looking at the news once a day to see what's happening with it all.

Last edited:
That's good, I've also used some small-holed netting to cover the hatch to allow some ventilation around the coop. I did have larger-holded wire over if but birds and vermin could probably fit through it (we have lots of rats round here unfortunately) so I covered it up with smaller stuff. I'm just looking at the news once a day to see what's happening with it all.

Looks good.

Spent all afternoon cleaning the coop and runs. Shattered.

Wine and a facial tonight
big_smile.png

It has been confirmed that a case of bird flu has been found in the UK-at a turkey farm in Lincolnshire
sad.png
Time to be EXTRA vigilant.

I sa
It has been confirmed that a case of bird flu has been found in the UK-at a turkey farm in Lincolnshire :( Time to be EXTRA vigilant.
I saw that, it was only a matter of time :-( They'll hopefully contain it though; there was a strain found not far from where I live here in Scotland a few years ago and they managed to contain it. Although we've seen how far it has spread across Europe, so it could easily do the same in the UK.

Surely if our birds are all housed and protected, there's no reason for them to get it?

Quote: I would imagine the turkey farmer thought the same! I would doubt anyone with such a vested interest , particularly at this time of year, had not taken stringent precautions. I hope this doesn't mean that the lock down will be extended!
Really disappointed and worried to hear that we now have a case in the UK.

I would imagine the turkey farmer thought the same! I would doubt anyone with such a vested interest , particularly at this time of year, had not taken stringent precautions. I hope this doesn't mean that the lock down will be extended!
Really disappointed and worried to hear that we now have a case in the UK.
Yes very worrying. My question now would be, if all (or most) of the turkeys affected were CAGED and presumably inside-how on earth did they catch it?

Back
Top Bottom