Is anyone ordered Black Copper Marans from My Pet Chicken before?

neilgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Las Vegas
I Ordered BCM from MPC, and I'm wondering about their quality.
I was reading here and in many posts people saying not to get them from an hatchery. Now I got doubt about the color of their eggs. Is there a good chance they eon't be dark brown?
I'm not intending to show them. I ordered them for the dark brown eggs.

We are breeders of bcms, wheaten marans, bbs marans....I would say that the chicken hatcheries would not give you as dark of a color as would those of us who have been working with marans for years. You may be especially blessed and luck up on dark colors, but this has not been the experience of others I have seen posting on this board. At our backyard chicken farm (here at our full time farm), we only hatch the darkest of eggs, We watch how the hens lay and if they are not sufficiently dark and stay dark long enough, they leave the breeder pen right away and go to the eating egg pens...We also look for French standards compliance as well.

I don't want to discourage you but to hopefully "set your expectations" at an appropriate level. Best of wishes....and do let me know if you need any hatching eggs... Have a blessed one. Nancy

=======================================================
Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
12+ Easter Egger Eggs (Lavendar Ameracauna rooster in pen!)
10+ Wheaten Marans Hatching eggs

Thanks. It's too late for me now, but I'll cross my fingers and hop to be lucky. Next time I'll try to find a breeder.

Should you decide you want to hatch eggs, we've got some beautiful ones and wonderful confirmation of body type and egg colors! I've been hatching them and great reports of eggs being hatched!!! Thanks...Nancy

I wish I could hatch eggs, but unfortunately I live in the city and I'm not allowed to have a rooster.

I live in the city as well, San Diego, but plan on hatching some BCMS that are due to arrive next week. I've found that there are local people that can have roosters who will take any cockerels that hatch out.

Truth be told, it doesn't matter if you're not allowed a rooster - Getting hatching eggs allows you to see the actual egg color and chances are you'll get better quality anyway, AND pay a much less price. Most hatcheries over-price their Marans chicks and you get little out of it for such a price.

Anyway, back to the point - Even if you hatch roosters, the BYC Forum right here can help you sex your chicks before they even think about crowing!
smile.png
You don't need to fear having a rooster and being caught. . .

And btw, hatcheries don't give you 100% chances of pullets.
wink.png

Thanks next time I'll get eggs from a breeder. I'm learning something all the time. One more question does breeders ship their eggs to other states? Is it safe?

Back
Top Bottom