Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

What's the best way to transition them? Just turn off the lamp and help them find it?
Yeppers. You may have to push them under then hold them there until the 'feel the heat', can take a few tries but once a few figure it out, the rest will follow.

I also create a gradient in heat by making the front legs slightly higher than the back - it gives chicks an option of heat levels. It's feasible that it serves no purpose whatever, but it doesn't stop me messing around with it.
Definitely has a purpose, not just gradient of heat but body size clearance, seen it utilized many times. Especially this year when I had a 3 week age range of chicks.

Definitely has a purpose, not just gradient of heat but body size clearance, seen it utilized many times. Especially this year when I had a 3 week age range of chicks.
For sure, it makes sense when one has either an age range, or breed size differences

Yeppers. You may have to push them under then hold them there until the 'feel the heat', can take a few tries but once a few figure it out, the rest will follow.

I sure hope they figure it out. They seem adamant on running out from under it as soon as I get it under. I've only gone down once and seen 1 underneath without coaxing. The rest are all huddled up under where the light was. Gonna move the plate there. If they don't catch on, I'm gonna have to put the lamp back and just start from scratch with the plate with the next batch next month.

I sure hope they figure it out. They seem adamant on running out from under it as soon as I get it under. I've only gone down once and seen 1 underneath without coaxing. The rest are all huddled up under where the light was. Gonna move the plate there. If they don't catch on, I'm gonna have to put the lamp back and just start from scratch with the plate with the next batch next month.
Just be patient.
Are the ones where the light was distress cheeping?

Just be patient.
Are the ones where the light was distress cheeping?

No. Just regular cheeping.

But also, to clear things up a smidge, I'm talking about guinea keets, not chicks. At this age there's not much difference. They just want warmth, food, and water. But the keets are noticeably more skittish, and seemingly WAY more fragile.

I went down a few minutes ago and it seems like they might be getting it. 6 were underneath, and 5 were where the lamp was strongest. I have faith that they'll get it. But I've already lost several keets in the first week when I've NEVER had a problem with chicks (though it seems to be under control now as no keets have died in the last 48+ hours), so I'm paranoid and itchy to make sure they all find the heat and use it before I lose more.

No. Just regular cheeping.

But also, to clear things up a smidge, I'm talking about guinea keets, not chicks. At this age there's not much difference. They just want warmth, food, and water. But the keets are noticeably more skittish, and seemingly WAY more fragile.

I went down a few minutes ago and it seems like they might be getting it. 6 were underneath, and 5 were where the lamp was strongest. I have faith that they'll get it. But I've already lost several keets in the first week when I've NEVER had a problem with chicks (though it seems to be under control now as no keets have died in the last 48+ hours), so I'm paranoid and itchy to make sure they all find the heat and use it before I lose more.

Turn off the light, put them under one at a time, keep doing it. After a little while if any are not under, and cheeping put them back. Do not give them a choice they will stay warm.

Gary

Turn off the light, put them under one at a time, keep doing it. After a little while if any are not under, and cheeping put them back. Do not give them a choice they will stay warm.

Gary

I think they're getting it. I've been down twice in the last hour, and most were under the plate. Saw one come out, grab a snack from the feeder, a sip of water, then go right back. Just as it should.

Can't wait to get the new brooder built and in the basement. Life will be much easier for everyone involved.

I know this is an older post but I just want to thank everyone for their reviews on this product. My first batch of peepers should hatch in 13 days and I have been struggling with which product to use for warmth once they hatch (). I really didn’t want to use a heat lamp and was hoping that the Premier heating plate was going to be a good option. Since this is an older thread, is there anything else I should consider prior to purchasing this? Thanks for your help!

I bought 5 day old chicks two weeks ago, and i have them in my attached unheated enclosed garage which is about 40-50 deg F currently. Im in NY so its no where near warm outside yet, and mine are doing just fine under the premier plate. I have the 12x12 model and was very skeptical at first. I didn't want to use a lamp in my house and risk the fire, so i wanted the plate. I had a lamp as backup just incase they didn't take to the heat plate, but it was plugged in about 12 before they arrived and already up to temp when they entered the brooder. I angled the plate so the smaller ones can get closer and the bigger ones can tuck away further. I shot the plate with my infrared thermo and most of the heating plate read 135 deg F. They run under to warm up, and then scurry out to eat and drink. So, with that, i can say that i recommend the premier heat plate!

I bought 5 day old chicks two weeks ago, and i have them in my attached unheated enclosed garage which is about 40-50 deg F currently. Im in NY so its no where near warm outside yet, and mine are doing just fine under the premier plate. I have the 12x12 model and was very skeptical at first. I didn't want to use a lamp in my house and risk the fire, so i wanted the plate. I had a lamp as backup just incase they didn't take to the heat plate, but it was plugged in about 12 before they arrived and already up to temp when they entered the brooder. I angled the plate so the smaller ones can get closer and the bigger ones can tuck away further. I shot the plate with my infrared thermo and most of the heating plate read 135 deg F. They run under to warm up, and then scurry out to eat and drink. So, with that, i can say that i recommend the premier heat plate!
Wow - Thank you richie10429! That is great to hear. I am going to order it tonight based on what I have seen on this thread and your current opinion. I am getting SO excited for them to hatch! This is my first intro to chickens and I just cant wait to meet them! :)

Back
Top Bottom