Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Does everyone use the Premiere 1 heat plate from 1 day chicks on with the lights out at night? I used this before but left a light on at night so they could get water and food when needed. I didn't want to have weak chicks. Does everyone leave the lights off at night from day old chicks?

Does everyone use the Premiere 1 heat plate from 1 day chicks on with the lights out at night? I used this before but left a light on at night so they could get water and food when needed. I didn't want to have weak chicks. Does everyone leave the lights off at night from day old chicks?
I've been keeping the lights off at night from day 1. They seem to find food and water fine.

Mine are out in a coop with a run and a window so they get fair warning of dark approaching and will load their crops before tucking in for the night. Then they just sleep until the sun rises. No biggie. I'm not sure how it works if you put them in a place without those cues, though. Maybe leave a small nightlight running so they aren't caught off guard when the lights shut off?
ETA: I have always started chicks outdoors. The current group is the first to have an electric hen (heating pad version but same idea) rather than a lamp. The lamp-reared chicks didn't grow faster and I don't think there is any benefit to 24/7 light. If anything, it's a stressor.

Last edited:
Mine are out in a coop with a run and a window so they get fair warning of dark approaching and will load their crops before tucking in for the night. Then they just sleep until the sun rises. No biggie. I'm not sure how it works if you put them in a place without those cues, though. Maybe leave a small nightlight running so they aren't caught off guard when the lights shut off?
ETA: I have always started chicks outdoors. The current group is the first to have an electric hen (heating pad version but same idea) rather than a lamp. The lamp-reared chicks didn't grow faster and I don't think there is any benefit to 24/7 light. If anything, it's a stressor.
Good post^^^

When I brooding inside, usually a week before sanding out to coop, I turn off light at night.
Brooder room has big windows facing north, kinda dim during day tho so I use a white light,
but turn it off a few hours before sunset, so they get the gradual darkening that sends them to 'roost' by dark.

Good post^^^

When I brooding inside, usually a week before sanding out to coop, I turn off light at night.
Brooder room has big windows facing north, kinda dim during day tho so I use a white light,
but turn it off a few hours before sunset, so they get the gradual darkening that sends them to 'roost' by dark.
Thank you all! It makes sense. I'll turn off the light a couple of hours before dusk. Then they can prepare for the night filling up. I have windows in the room. So there is natural light. Just not a lot of light that goes in the brooder on the floor. But will be enough for last couple of hours. I did use a night light the last time at night for about a week.

I have been using a large (16x24") Premier plate for three weeks now, and I am enrolled. I brought 15 egg layer chicks home from the PO, popped them under the plate, and gained instant silence; 10 minutes later they all were back out, making a racket. I raised the plate, and after a short while, all had managed to find their way to under the plate and silence. No problem there.

They started eating and drinking right away, as though they were thirsty and hungry, and they consumed all the Grogel I put out for them the first day. The rest is history: they have grown and feathered out fast, I had no pasty butts, no illness or loss of chicks, nothing but vigorous, bouncy chicks. I set up the brooder enclosure inside a cool basement room in the house, on a concrete floor covered with an "emergency (mylar) blanket" and a tarp, topped with a minimum of bedding. I didn't use a dimmer, but adjusted the heat to their backs by varying the height of the plate - this seemed to work fine for the chicks - and I did not provide any kind of night lighting. The first week, they spent most of their time under the plate but had no problem finding and using their food and waterer. At three weeks, they have mostly outgrown it and sleep in a group or laze around the perimeter.

I kept small tortoises at one time, and have used heat lamps extensively. Early on I discovered the hazards of heat lamps when one of my tortoises pushed its peat pot "Hide-house" under the basking lamp and started a fire. Fortunately I was home and could smell the smoke in time to make an intervention, and no harm was done. You can understand, however, how much I dislike reflective heating lamps - and how much I welcomed the concept of heating plates. The Premier is sturdily made, doesn't use a lot of watts (62 in the case of the largest plate), and does not get hot enough to ignite most things. I have also used heating pads for reptiles, and the old ones can burn out if not used with a proper set up. Were I to rave about the Premier, it would be understandable, but I'll just say, "Get one." Remember to consider not only the number of chicks you'll be brooding, but also how long you'll be keeping them in the brooder when choosing the size.

An addendum: about 2 1/2 weeks after I first popped the 15 babies under the plate, I succumbed to buying 5 more chicks, newly hatched irresistible Cochin. I put them in with the boisterous toddlers, said a prayer, and then decided to lower the plate. Voila! A warm, safe retreat from the mob. This worked well, everyone is getting along with no injuries or hard feelings, now, and I am happy with the arrangement. Lots of peace of mind comes with this Plate from Premier.

I use it from day 1 and they seem to love it! I have posted a video from under the heating plate - you can watch it here: http://www.chicktalks.com/2017/05/01/life-under-the-heating-plate/

There are 8 chicks that have all hatched within 12-36 hours. Look how they push their backs up against the plate - at night they either move to the back and lay down (where the plate is closer to the ground = warmer) or they stand up sleeping, touching the plate.

rgds Michael

I use it from day 1 and they seem to love it! I have posted a video from under the heating plate - you can watch it here: http://www.chicktalks.com/2017/05/01/life-under-the-heating-plate/

There are 8 chicks that have all hatched within 12-36 hours. Look how they push their backs up against the plate - at night they either move to the back and lay down (where the plate is closer to the ground = warmer) or they stand up sleeping, touching the plate.

rgds Michael
Nice videos...the one linked and the unpacking plate one.
I see it came with a rheostat to adjust the heat level....
.......so you must be located in the UK(or somewhere other then the US)?
as the rheostat's are not available here in the US.

Based in Denmark - it was an optional extra purchase (in USD something like 15 or 20 if I remember correctly). Quite nice as it is really easy to adjust the heat. For the first couple of weeks I don't use it as raising the plate will do the same basically but then you can start reducing heat while keeping the plate at its max height.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom