Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Mine were outside in their coop; had a couple nights with frost. No problems whatsoever with just the heat plate. No extra light either. Now they are a month old in their own grown up coop. Only downfall: they run down the ramp to get out in the morning; but forget how to go back up in the evenings. I have to crawl around the floor (a frame) to catch them. My last group caught on quick. This time not so much! Lol

This is my second year to use the Premier heat plate. I really liked it last year and love it even more this year.

I brought home my English Orps last Tuesday, and they went right under the plate. Never had to show them. They are 3 days old in these pics.

They get tired of sleeping under it, they get on top and play.

Last year I got chicks the first week of March. We had some bad weather come in during March last year, freezing rain and I was worried the electricity would go out. This year, I waited a few more weeks before getting chicks.

This is my second year to use the Premier heat plate. I really liked it last year and love it even more this year.

I brought home my English Orps last Tuesday, and they went right under the plate. Never had to show them. They are 3 days old in these pics.

That is a precious pic!

Mine were outside in their coop; had a couple nights with frost. No problems whatsoever with just the heat plate. No extra light either. Now they are a month old in their own grown up coop. Only downfall: they run down the ramp to get out in the morning; but forget how to go back up in the evenings. I have to crawl around the floor (a frame) to catch them. My last group caught on quick. This time not so much! Lol
I put a small light in the coop that I turn on around roosting time. That tends to help. It is not fun trying to wrangle chicks out of gross corners, is it?!

I got the small heat plate just before my hatch. They really love it. I love it to, since they settle better and I'm not worried about the fires or melted totes. If they are on sale end of season, I will want another. I did do the dimmer switch recommended. But, so far it's on high. I find it a comfortable hot. Great quality. Have already turned other chicken friends on it.

Last edited:
being new to hatching (quail) I did buy a couple of the Brinseas and have LOVED them because of being paranoid on heat lamps. Heard of to many barns going up from heat lamps. But, I really wanted one more..and found this thread and I have ordered my heating plate..and a few waters and leg bands (though I have NO idea what I will do with them yet..but I HAD to get to that $100 lolol)

I raised 9 chicks under my plate and they did amazingly well. Self-regulated time under the plate and no worries about fires. I love this thing. Will brood some guineas under it next. I love seeing their little heads looking out from underneath the plate while they get toasty. Kept them in the guest room in a giant wardrobe box from my move. Oh my, the dust!! Will use the garage next time!!

Ordered the large premiere plate from Amazon in December (Christmas gift card, whoop!) This year I am fortunate to be brooding my 20 chicks in my unfinished basement. Ambient temp is about 60° but it does get a little chillier at night. There are 5 huge windows so they do get sunlight, which I like because they have a natural sleep cycle because of it.

Now to discuss the plate. At first I was super nervous because I couldn't see what they were doing under the plate. I was so nervous in fact that I went and got the heat lamp stand we built last year when we brooded in the horse barn. The stand is pretty handy, allowing the lamp to be clipped and also wired to it for extra security. I've never been worried about fire, but I hated the light. It hurt my eyes when I was looking at objects under it for any length of time. I can't imagine how terrible it is to live under that harsh light (red bulb). Anyway, the first night I had the chicks they had the option of being under the lamp or the plate. When I checked on them before bed only two were under the plate, the rest were having a party under the light. I checked on them a few hours later and no one was under the plate but there was a full rager under the light, with exhausted little bodies passed out here and there. Seriously looked like a frat house from an 80's flick. The next morning they were all exhausted. I decided that was it, no more heat lamp. I unceremoniously unplugged it and shooed the protesting party goers toward the plate. They must have remembered that was a place of warmth because they didn't take any convincing to go under it. Fast forward to the next night: everyone was tucked in and quiet under the plate at dusk and they stayed that way until someone decided they'd had enough sleep at 6 am (just before daybreak) and sounded what I refer to as the new morning alarm. I went down to check on them and switched on the overhead lights, and it was party time again, but in a good way. Everyone shot out from under the plate and went straight to the food and water. They seem so much more active and curious than my chicks from last year who were brooded under a heat lamp. When I put my hand in the brooder they all race over to see what I'm doing. And then they run around some more before going under the plate to warm up.

With regards to the plate being too hot, I don't find this to be an issue. My dad thought they would surely burn themselves on it, but I can hold my bare hand on it (palm side and the back) without feeling uncomfortable. They have their little downy feathers to protect them, so it's not a worry for me. I have one end lower so it is just above their heads when laying down and the other end is about level with their backs when standing. They self regulate pretty well, finding their sweet spot under there. And it took them about 2.5 seconds to figure out how to get up top. They love it. And I am so glad to have relaxed, happy chicks. (PS-the top cleans off easily with a damp paper towel so I didn't bother with the cling wrap on top)

I bought two of the small plates last year and hatched out five batches of chicks, who LOVED this, as did I. No more worrying about the heat lamp for me. I bought a timer, and was able to transition them to outside, putting the plate on heat from 6pm-8am (once the chicks were big enough). I'm about to start again for this year! Love this!! I also took the suggestion someone posted and used the sticky cling wrap and changed it once per week, which also worked great.

Back
Top Bottom