Is anything wrong?

Fast moving tiny bugs sounds like lice. They usually leave whitish clumps of eggs at the base of feathers. Permethrin 5%spray (available in concentrate for diluting, available at TSC and other feed stores) is very good to spray just the affected area around the vent to kill lice. Check again in 7 days and use again. The coop may need to be emptied and treated as well as the other chickens.
Look for some threads on ascites at the search box above for information and pictures of draining a swollen tight abdomen. An 18 gauge needle inserted just under the abdominal wall is used. If the belly is not tight like a drum, there could be something other than fluid in there. Internal laying incidence is increased at this age, and may be a reason for the swollen belly.

So I have bought some syringes to drain her, but there is one teeny problem. I'm actually very afraid of syringes in any situation, so bad that it'll make me get weak and sick. If it is the only way to get her to feel better, I can muster up the strength to do that, but is there any other way?

Can you check with a vet? If not maybe a friend who is a nurse or paramedic might help. Not everyone can drain a belly, and that is understanding. Reading more threads and watching videos could help.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the dear died today from heart or liver failure. I was worried that would happen soon. The only vet somewhat near us charges $80 just to look at a bird- not even prescribe or fix anything.
hmm.png
I had tried to research ascites, and the more I read, the more it seemed like I could hurt her even more if I tried to drain her without proper information.

She was almost 5 years old and we live at a VERY high elevation, so I think it may have been ascites due to heart or liver failure.

A nice heavy dusting/bath of wood ash will add some more insurance to the lice problem, and you might want to check or do this with you other girls, and add some to the coop and run and their dust bathing area.

So sorry for your loss!

Last edited:
A nice heavy dusting/bath of wood ash will add some more insurance to the lice problem, and you might want to check or do this with you other girls, and add some to the coop and run and their dust bathing area.

So sorry for your loss!
I cleaned the coop real well just about a week ago, and I converted one nesting box into a temporary dirt bath place since it's winter and the ground is frozen. They seem to enjoy it.
smile.png
I also have been treating them and their coop with permethrin to help.

Back
Top Bottom