Is baking soda safe for chickens?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I've been doing some research on homemade electrolyte mix, and I've noticed that baking soda is a common ingredient. I want to make my own electrolytes since the first ingredient in most purchased mixes is salt. I know that salt is a good source of electrolytes, but its also not great for poultry, so I wanted to try my own with different ratios.
Anyway, is backing soda safe? I read a few articles that said it was, but I'm pretty sure they weren't reputable sources. I know that baking soda isn't safe for rabbits because of the reaction with stomach acid, just wanted to double check that this was/wasn't the same for poultry. Thanks for the help!

I've not gotten into this part of food science, and have no intention of dipping my toes in any time soon. The need for an electrolyte mix presumes either that the feed is somehow deficient (in which case, fix the feed), or that there is some transitory condition which a specific electrolyte will assist in remedying.

Since I have no way of testing my chickens to determine what they need - and unlike humans, chickens can't sweat - the human causes of electrolyte imbalance (and which electrolytes) are largely inapposite. That leaves me guessing at unknowns. Under such conditions, I am unlikely to take any action, or at most, reach for an "off the shelf" solution.

Baking Soda (like any base) will alter the pH of the chicken's gut, for good or ill - as would the addition of ACV (or any acid) - and provide sodium. Obviously, if the point is pH alteration, you don't want to be providing your baking soda enriched electrolyte mix with your ACV-acidified water. That's basic chemistry.

Beyond that, I got nothing.

Back
Top Bottom