Is Big Girl a boy?

chickenrevolt

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Same sad song I've read on so many posts...our six girls are now four weeks old. I know it is early to tell, but the eight-year-old, my partner, and I will have to gear ourselves up. No Roos in our city, and we agreed when we went into this that, although we were happy to run an old hen's home, we would take responsibility for any accidental Roos. Here are the two that concern me:

Barred Rock. I like her dark legs and color, and her little comb is nice and yellow, but is that a lot of comb for a four week old pullet?

Big Girl is the biggest chick by far, and she just popped out that reddish orange on her neck, chest, and wings. No comb to speak of yet.

Thoughts? Either way, these chickens will have a lovely life until it comes time for us to pay the piper.

They both look like pullets. The barred rock's color is pullet, and that's not too much comb for this age.
I don't know the breed on the second one, but that salmon color coming in on her chest means pullet. Roosters of the same coloring get black chests.

Big Girl is an EE. Feeling a little less like the sword of doom is hanging over my head, though, thanks! Made up my mind if there is culling to be done, any Roos and I will have a nice glass of wine together and play Aaron Copeland in the background while I take care of it myself. Guess I'll relax a little and wait it out!

Here are a few closeups that may help:

Barred Rock

Big Girl (EE)

Hopefully these won't post a gazillion times, I've had some technical difficulty...thanks for looking!

Pictures are hard to tell. Sorry! But...

1)roosters stand more up right than hens
2)roosters had brighter colored legs(your barred might be hard)
3)roosters develop crests faster and bigger than any hen's
4)hen's have an under layer of wings(noticable when dusting) and roosters don't
5)roosters have HUGE gobbles and HUGE spurs. Those are the really obvious signs of a hen-turned-rooster

If you do get roosters, I'm sorry. It's really hard to send away something that you've raised. Even though chickens aren't really humanlike(like dogs and cats), you really do get attached to them quickly. I had to send off a rooster 2 months ago and I had hatched him and everything. I had spent 5 long months with him, and it was hard to let him go. I'm sorry.
sad.png

Hope I helped!!!!!!

D.gif

Your "Barred Rock" is not actually a Barred Rock, from what I can tell (a side profile showing the legs better would help). If I'm not mistaken, its legs are not yellow, and are, in fact, a grey color. This means that it is a Cuckoo Marans. The coloring is also too irregular for it to be a Barred Rock. I believe that it is a male, due to the relatively large comb.

Your Easter Egger is 100% girl. She has classic female Easter Egger coloring, and a small, pale comb. You should get plenty of pretty green eggs from her!

I hope I've helped!
smile.png

I'll admit that the first one is hard (for me at least) to tell, but the EE is certainly a hen, and looks just like my little Lady Hawksley did at that age. :)

The look of joy on your daughters face as she holds those chickens is heartwarming. She is very lucky to have this kind of experience at her age. It's amazing how much happiness such simple, silly little birds can bring into our lives!

Wishing you the best, and hoping for an all female flock for you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom