Is Black-Laced Black Possible?

IMG_20210924_140757655.jpg
IMG_20210924_140752544.jpg
IMG_20210924_140748931.jpg
I think that other person was right its melanistic patterns, like a black cat in the sun

Beautiful, I love polish too!! The roosters are just beautiful, did he have a pattern in the sun
Yeah he was like yours just more heavily patterned!😉 He was the shiniest rooster I’ve ever seen! He would have huge pink streaks along with green, blue, and purple!😉 I don’t really have any good pictures of his pattern though.😕
E9F32A31-96AF-4C8C-B9EE-B8EE30897A55.jpeg

You know.. I've been thinking more on the Original Posters question.

We describe patterns in terms of a combination of ground color and black.
Both ground colour and black then get modified.
You can get diluters and enhancers - Making things lighter and darker
And we can get genes that move the black and colours around the feather - I.e. Pattern Genes

IF you had a bird with black ground colour AND all the correct genes to form a lace

THEN I suppose you "could" say that you have a black laced black bird yes?

Example is:
Extended Black Base E/E
Laced Genes Combo Co/Co Db/Db Pg/Pg Ml/Ml

IF you then add a Blue gene (which acts as a diluter on black), you get a grey ground coloured feather WITH darker grey laced edgings.

Ergo suggesting the black does place on the feather as a black ground AND a black edge.

Thoughts people??

I guess so - as long as the pattern is actually possible on top of a black base?
Sorry for my last dumb question but here's one, wouldn't this that we're discussing be the same as white 'hiding' colors and patterns? And if so can anyone with white birds go see if it has the same effect

Sorry for my last dumb question but here's one, wouldn't this that we're discussing be the same as white 'hiding' colors and patterns? And if so can anyone with white birds go see if it has the same effect
I actually have some examples of this to share.
I have NZ Araucana in Black, Blue and Splash variety.
Recently I discovered that two of my birds also carry recessive white.
So when these two birds are bred there is a chance their babies will get two recessive white genes.

Rooster is plain blue
Hen is plain splash

Their babies (ignoring the white) will be either blue or splash

My understanding is that the recessive white "dilutes" all the colours on the feather to white - so all the other possible gound colours and patterns are still there but simply diluted to white so you don't see them.

So VISUALLY you see no colours, no patterns, only white.
But GENETICALLY they are still either blue or splash (plus white)

So I have a white baby here - let's say it was splash plus recessive white.

If I breed that baby to another splash - I will expect to get splash babies, showing all the usual colours and patterns you should see on splash, and those babies will carry one recessive white gene (hidden because one copy doesn't express visually).

Back
Top Bottom