Is Broody Chick Adoption a Biosecurity Problem?

Chicks from hatcheries are about as safe as you can possibly get. The eggs are laid in a separate facility, washed, and transported to a sterile hatchery where they are incubated. Biosecurity is very tight.

The actual risk is that the hen will give the chicks something. She is the one that has lived in an environment where diseases and parasites are present. This is typically not a problem. They are going to face that environment later anyway, this just gets them started on flock immunities early. This is the same as her hatching the chicks. I consider getting their immune system strengthened and ready for life to be a good thing.

If it makes any difference, the chicks and mama will be separated from the main flock, in our small quarantine coop.

Makes no difference. If your flock has it your broody hen has it. And the chicks need it to work on flock immunities.

@viennaproto
Thanks for the advice! I'm concerned that if I wait too long, the hen will not adopt the chicks, and the chicks will not bond to the hen. These chicks will come from a hatchery.
Always use YOUR best judgement and do what makes sense to YOU! ;)

Ridgerunner gave excellent information.. I'm 100% in agreement so I don't need to repeat it. :thumbsup

On the day chicks arrive.. I usually keep them in a brooder and offer crushed feed and water along with warmth.. to hold them over until dark. I do all my tucking in at night so the hen can feel them moving and start clucking to them so they can learn her voice before day light comes. I do block them in so no one accidentally gets out and gets chilled. I also check often on the first couple days to help ensure this.

Some folks do day time tucks without complication.

Most folks quarantine area is not truly far enough away to make a difference in diseases that really matter. Many diseases chicks can carry won't show a single symptom before 3 weeks old and some much later. An extra 3 day separation will do absolutely nothing to benefit the hen or the chicks.. and since you describe her as stubborn (she's just following her hormonal instinct) then I am presuming that she has been sitting already long enough to be ready to accept some chicks.

Another great thing about hatchery chicks is being able to get them sexed and not have to deal with lots of extra roosters.. most of the time! I love adding a couple new pullet chicks to my flock every year, sometimes selling the older ladies early in the season way before molt so they lay plenty eggs for their new home still. :)

Post pics of your new mum and here babes if you get a chance! :pop

Thanks guys! She has been stubborn in the past, I think she's only on her second week for this round. If it works out I will try to remember to post some photos!

We’ve placed hatchery chicks under our broody before, no health issues. But chicks were from good established hatcheries.

put them under broody in the dark, when she is asleep.

as young as possible is best. We have had success with putting 5-6 day olds under a broody in the dark. We’ve had success with a proven broody adopting chicks after only 2 weeks of broodiness, but she had already adopted and raised chicks previously so we were confident in her momma hen abilities and hormones.

good luck.

Thank you for the follow up. There are cautions throughout BYC that this might happen. It's good to know that it's more than just a possibility. Although, I'm sorry it happened to you.

Our broody just finished her 21 day stint and was rewarded with 11 one-day-olds from the hatchery and from the local feed store (that got them from the hatchery). We were really afraid of breaking her broodiness, so we didn't move her. Instead, we locked out the other chickens from the coop for the night, and moved her and the babies the next day into an area we had prepared. By then, they had already bonded, and I wasn't afraid of abandonment or stress from the move.

Back
Top Bottom