Is broody chickens an issue?

Chicken Luvr

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
We will be getting chickens in the future and would have no rooster and collect the eggs. Would chickens going broody be an issue for us. We do have children and want eggs, so I am just not sure if it would be an issue. If so, what chicken breeds don't go broody very often.

Broodiness tends to vary by breed. My New Hampshire Reds and Barred Rocks have not demonstrated any of that. The Buff Orpington was broody last year, and may be again this year. They tend to be broody, from what I understand.

When she was broody, she would grumble if you opened the nest she was in. She was not persistent in sitting, so no chicks. We have a performing rooster, so there was at least a glimmer of hope to her endeavors.

Off of the nest, her behavior was not noticeably different from the other hens.

Chris

If all you want are eggs and lots of them I would get white leghorns. They are by far my best layers and almost never go broody. Nice big white eggs and extremely consistently. Keep in mind in your plans that all chickens molt and will stop laying durring that time. If you want eggs in the winter you may need to light your coop to give them enough hours of daylight.

Alright, thanks! The three breeds we were thinking of we're the Easter eggers, Barred Rock, and Star, although I will defiantly take a look at the white leghorns!

Back
Top Bottom