Is Buddleia toxic to chickens?

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I want to put a Buddleia (butterfly bush) plant in my run to add some color, they're pretty hardy here and require very little maintenance.

Does anyone know though if the plant is poisonous to chickens? I figured I would plant it and section it off for awhile, giving it time to establish and grow tall before I let them near it... a.k.a strip it of all of it's lower leaves, as I know they will.
lol.png

Does anyone have experience with this plant and their flock? Thanks in advance.

BUDDLEIA_davidii_Cornwall_Blue_BP_lg.jpg

I had 2 when I lived in FL. I don't recall the chickens or ducks eating it and they ate everything green. Even tomato plants. I don't know for sure whether it's safe just that mine didn't eat it.

I had 2 when I lived in FL. I don't recall the chickens or ducks eating it and they ate everything green. Even tomato plants. I don't know for sure whether it's safe just that mine didn't eat it.

My birds are the same way, anything green goes!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

basic Buddelia davidii and its varieties are not. This is the one you see at nurseries.
I live Pink Delight and Royal red as they do not get to lanky .
Also Buzz series is nice because it is a true dwarf that stays pretty full where as Some of the petite ones Like petite plum still get rangy.
Chickens will not eat it as far in my experience but deer and rabbits do.
It is good for Butterflys and bees. Hummingbirds love it too.

Back
Top Bottom