Is BYC Really #1? Help With Google?

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I watch our Google ranking like a hawk. Usually doing a search on Google for "chickens" bring up Wikipedia first (since they have a relationship with Google) and then BYC second.

Well, I almost fell out of my chair when today I saw BYC as #1 for a search on chickens?!?!?!

Can you guys make sure I'm not seeing a local / tweaked copy of search and let me know what position BYC is in when you type in "chickens" on Google?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Looks like we slipped to #2. [​IMG]

I want to try an experiement to see if it helps. If you have a Google account (gmail, docs, picassa, adwords, etc.) please try the folowing:

1) Make sure you are logged in to Google
    2) Do a search for "chickens"
    3) Hopefully you'll see a button with an up arrow (to move BYC up). Go ahead and bump it up!

Here is an example:
    [​IMG]

Don't know if it makes a difference, but every little bit helps! The best thing you can do is to link to BYC from your website or blog using the term "chickens" like this:

I love chickens! I go to this site to discuss chickens, learn about chickens and live chickens!

[​IMG]

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I see you in 2nd....

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I see BYC at number 1

4. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    Number one, as well it should be! This is a great site. Thanks for all the effort you've put into building it, and thanks to the community! I'm kind of new with chickens, so it's great to have this as a resource.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

"chickens" comes up first here.

"chicken" comes up with wiki and then all recipies. LOL

6. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    when typing in the word *chickens*

from the google toolbar you come in 1st ~

from the google webpage, if you hit ~I'm feeling lucky~ takes you straight to BYC homepage

& also from the google webpage hitting ~Google Search~ you are also first ~ I'd say that makes you a pretty FIRM FIRST!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    ~Red

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. Nifty-Chicken

This is what we call the "Google Dance"! Where your page ranking is moving all over and where it stops, nobody knows.

Hopefully at #1 !!! [​IMG]

BTW, if you want to help us be / stay at #1, then please link to us from your site or blog with some text that links the word "chickens" to BYC, kinda like this:

Here is the best site in the UNIVERSE about chickens !

(FractalFarmer, welcome! You're a neighbor to me, especially if you are in the "East Bay")

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    BYC is #1 under "chickens" and #9 under "chicken", with wiki and recipes, before it.

9. Nifty-Chicken

Kinda amazing how just adding an "s" can change the context of the search!

"Chickens" can really only be interpreted as the animal

"chicken" can be the food, animal, or the noun that you call a frightened person! [​IMG]

10. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Yeah, chickeN wiki and recipes then us.
    ChickenS For me, #2
    But when I looked a while back, we were #1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by