Is Coop too small for 4 hens? PIC

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by winniegirl, Oct 23, 2008.

1. winniegirl

winniegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, kinda of dumb question. I was just re-measuring our coop and it measure 6 feet x 32 inches wide on the outside but only 25 inches wide on inside [​IMG] So now I guess I really only have 12 sf. I have a standard and a bantam now, but hope to add two standard Buff Orps. Run is decent sized, 8 x 8.

BOs get pretty big and fluffy. What do you think? Could they fit or too small?

thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Twelve feet should be Ok, but I will say:

Just build yerself a big new coop. [​IMG] That little cute red one will make a fantastic brooder!

However big your coop is, there is just one thing you need to remember:

You always need a bigger coop.

Have fun!

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Yeah, I think it looks kinda small for 4 hens. They sure would be crowded if they had to stay in there like say for all the bad weather that winter brings. Might encourage picking on each other. Sorry, know that's not what you wanted to hear.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I bet you or a handy man could enlarge it a little bit pretty easily, to accomodate those fluffy girls while you build a bigger coop. [​IMG]

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    WARNING WARNING WARNING - Be careful. I started with a coop. Then built a brooder in the barn, then build a Silkie Chalet, then decided hey, if I put a board in the corner of the horse stall, more chickens can live there. It never ends.

My family just admits that I am nuts and accepts.

6. BeardedChick

It does meet the 4' per bird recommendation for heavier breeds, plus she has a run.

I also thought it looked small, but in reality, my birds don't have any more space per bird and I do not feel that mine are crowded.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they have to be in there 24/7, I would say 4 is too many/ pushing it. If they are only in there to sleep and you let them rage the rest of the day, 4 is easy no problem. Intergrating birds into a small coop is always a bigger challenge than in larger ones since there are less places to hide. The rules of footage are just guidelines so some can do smaller, and some need larger.

8. BeardedChick

Nice, complete answer, Silkie. [​IMG]

9. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    If you put some supports across the top of the run and tarp the windward side, the run will be more usable in winter which would decrease the crowding. When I do check my birds at night....they are all but one pilled up. My EE likes to perch on top of the coop..even the rooster. they use about a 2 ft by 3 ft area....spend most of the time in the run. Now we freeze but not real hard and rarely don't at least get to upper 30's in the day. So I count on them spending a lot of time in the run. My run is chainlink and reinforce and covered with chicken wire and I have a dog on patrol...so I don't lock them in...and have 3 separate kennels/coops so far kept preditors at bay.

10. winniegirl

winniegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone!!

You all (oops, sorry DH I meant y'all) are getting me in trouble:
    Bearded Chick: Just build yerself a big new coop. That little cute red one will make a fantastic brooder!

DH was not into this project at the beginning, so we bought that coop from someone looking to rehome their birds. Never had a run before. So he built them a run. And just before he attached the hardware cloth to one end he said

"Should I run down to the hardware store and get a couple more 4x4s and extend it another 8 ft?"
    It was late, we were cold and I said No, don't worry they'll be fine!!

SilkieChicken Can't free range them, too many dogs and hawks about.

3 sisters: Yes, good idea for the tarp, I'll do that.

I really depend on all of you wise ones out there, thanks again:)

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by