Is daily treat of watermelon bad?

sowNreap

Songster
Aug 16, 2021
TN
My ducks just LOVE watermelon. I give some to them every day. Sometimes I give them the butt & let them go wild. Sometimes I have some cutup & hand feed them. Then I have rinds with a little red on it which is from my cut watermelon that I either throw to them so they can "play" with it while trying to get the watermelon off (it's kinda mean of me but really fun to watch lol) or sometimes I'll hold it for them.

They're also fed DuMOR All Flock pellets and they forage all day. But with the lack of rainfall this year in my area there's not much to get other than grass and sunflowers seeds that fall from the bird feeders. They do sometimes catch the occasional cricket or other bug. Earthworms are pretty scarce, think they're just down so deep due to lack on rain.

My ducks seem pretty finicky, they don't seem to like scrambled eggs but I'll try again. And they didn't seem to like green leaf lettuce very much. I'm assuming green leaf lettuce is alright to feed them.

They LOVE grapes almost as much as watermelon. The pitted cherries was just ok.

The watermelon thing won't last much longer since the season is about over, but Kroger had them on sale for $1.99 each so bought 5 of them. We love watermelon too. :) Two of them were only so so tasting so cut them up for ducks for eating now but also freezing bunch of it so they can have some in winter. I tested freezing on some of my cutup watermelon & it worked out ok as long as it's not totally thawed. I mean it's not exactly like fresh but better than no watermelon.

So the question is, can a daily treat of watermelon be too much of a good thing?

just make sure it’s less than 10% of their diet and they’ll be fine. my ducks are healthy and they get daily treats (they are too spoiled though and will only eat it if it’s freshly cut up and mixed with water in their bowl lol)

I think daily is a little much. Maybe 3 times a week max? I’m not too much for treats other than mealworms.

One reason it got to be daily treat is I was treating them for niacin defiency with liquid B Complex but they actually don't mind it mixed in their feed so I'm doing that now instead. The other reason was I was trying to kinda trying train them to come when I whistled. They do when they want too. lol Other times they'll just look at me & say nah I like it here. Plus I just want them to not be fearful of me. I give them treat with one hand & pet them with the other. It's worked for some but not all. I don't push it if they don't want to be touched but I'll try to see how they react.

just make sure it’s less than 10% of their diet and they’ll be fine. my ducks are healthy and they get daily treats (they are too spoiled though and will only eat it if it’s freshly cut up and mixed with water in their bowl lol)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's less than 10% except maybe when it's the butt end which I only give them occasionally depending on how much we eat. And they've only more of that right now because I had those 2 not so great tasting ones so that was 4 butt ends which I've been giving them every couple days.

I'm pretty sure I'm spoiling my ducks too but they haven't got to that point yet. lol

Back
Top Bottom