Is DLM for small coops too? What other methods are good?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello. It seems like, from what I've seen anyway, that most people who use the Deep Litter Method have larger walk-in coops. I am going to have a small 4X5 coop for 5-7 chickens. Would DLM be a good option for me or is there something that is better for small coops?

Thank you,
CJ

In a small coop with that many chickens I imagine you will want to clean out all the litter every week or two because of odors, flies, etc., so no, I don't think so. If you are in a fairly warm section of CA you might consider having a three sided coop instead, though. Chickens are much more sensitive to heat than cold and need the breeze and fresh air, and shade, in hot weather. If it's very warm at all they may not want to be inside a small coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163417

Quote:
We are on the upper edge of Southern California, very near to the dividing line that would put us in Central California. We are almost 10 miles from the beach. I definitely think I need to worry more about heat than cold. In general it is pretty temperate though. Just maybe a week or so of weather that gets over 90 and a week or so of weather that gets cold. There are only a few nights a year that drop below freezing and that is only at night.

Thanks for the great link. I am starting to think more that a three-sided coop might be the right thing for us. I am just worried about rain, wind and the occassional cold spell. What do people do then?

Thank you,
CJ

Back
Top Bottom