Is Eggbid.com a rip off? :mad:

Quote:
Actually, that's untrue. You have to go to their state.

If you threaten them they should give your money back? Meh, they shouldn't have taken it to begin with. I doubt hot air will change their mind in refunding you. In a perfect world, they wouldn't have taken it to begin with.
wink.png

okay here is my two cents worth. I have sold over 100 dozen eggs and bought eggs on ebay and eggbid.

Its my opinion that some types of eggs ship better than others. With Turkey eggs out of a dozen eggs you might get one or two to develop same goes with bantam chicken eggs and call ducks. They just do not hold up well to shipping. Duck eggs ship and hatch very well as do most regular chicken eggs. I have had good luck with buying goose eggs and hatching but I know some people do not. Keep that in mind when you buy eggs it really is a roll of the dice if you get anything.

I have had two complaints about eggs not developing and I have sent new eggs on the condition that if these were better they would pay for actually shipping. I leave it up to the seller. Both times they paid the shipping.

Quote:
I also have found turkey and peafowl eggs dont take shipping,as well as waterfowl and chickens. Plus both are harder to hatch.

Larger eggs dont do well in still air incubators.

Hi,
I'd say no different than buying from here or ebay.
You take big chances with hatching eggs no matter where you get them from. Its always easier to feel ripped off than realize it is truly an art form, LOL!.
I bought a ton of silkie eggs, from 3 different breeders, the best I could find, and out of about 50-60+ eggs ended up with 7 silkies!!! (AND HALF MALE, LOL!!
lol.png
) ..Now they ended up costing me a lot, those 7 fluffy butts! but its a crap shoot.
Next time I wanna buy CHICKS!!!!! If I can find someone to ship me nice silkie chicks!
Hope you have better luck next time,
Take care,
Angela

Last edited:
Quote:
Best to buy from NPIP tested flocks. Lot of people selling eggs with out the test. Most States you can NOT ship eggs to without the test.

Buyer should check the import laws before bidding.

I still think it is a toss up and I'm going to try it again simply because I am addicted. I have a few on the way now that are silkies and then some more Japanese bantams later on in the month. God help me if the Feds or the Local PD find out how many birds I got.

Its a toss up. To many things can happen to shipped eggs and they have all been mentioned.

First and formost my birds are pets I want to raise them. So I bought mostly eggs to start with.

I spent almost $500 on eggs from just one person. and not as many eggs as you may think.
From that investment I got 3 chicks. I was thrilled, I knew I was throwing my money in the wind and took that chance. I did not get mad at the seller or demand a refund.

I never talk about what I have spent on birds or eggs before lets just say I could take top prize if we had a contest on money spent compaired to chicks hatched.

The last set of eggs I bought I spent $40.00 + 12 shipping and not one hatched.
But the eggs I had gotten from her earlier in the year I hatched 2 out of 12.
So I guess you could say those chicks cost me $46 each

From my original investments I started a very detailed breeding program and over the years have watched my flock blossom into some of the nicest birds in the country. So in the long run how could I call it money waisted.

I hope you get at least 1 or 2 babies to hatch and you will be very happy with the little cuties.
Other than that you may want to wait untill spring and get day olds at your local feed store.

Melanie

The quality of the eggs you get from any auction site (Eggbid, Ebay, Ovabid) is entirely dependant on the integrity of the seller. Always check Feedback, and contact the seller to make sure they actually have what they are selling. The classic examples of getting ripped off on an auction site is with Ameraucanas and Araucanas. Most sellers do not really have either, but in most cases have only birds that they bought from a hatchery that were represented as Ameraucanas or Araucanas. Ask for pictures, and make sure they are actually pictures of the birds the eggs will be from. From the buyers end they should have done enough research to know what the adult birds should look like. I ship a lot of eggs and it is always a tossup on how they will arrive after a couple of days in the USPS system. I recently shipped two boxes of eggs to the same buyer. The first arrived in great condition, no seperated air cells etc. The second box was completely scrambled. For my part I will continue to buy eggs from the auction sites if I think the chicks would be a worthwhile addition to my flock, and I will continue to sell eggs. I always hope that all I recieve are fertile and hatch, but I never complain if they don't. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I do not believe anyone would knowingly send bad eggs. The whole thing boils down though to just one thing. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Last edited:
Just bought turkey eggs off eggbid and shipped eggs from a BYCer. And had three dropped off from a travelling BYCer
smile.png

All of them made it here intact. Now it's up to me. I know the hatch rate for a newbie can be zero. I know the hatch rate on shipped eggs can be low or zero. I understood the risks going in.

It's not a ripoff that they don't pan out. It's a crap shoot. I'd like to win.

Sure some folks on ebay or eggbid or in any venue are there to rip you off. It's not common. I had one seller on ebay shell bid on their own eggs, got caught too.

More often it's just that shipped eggs fail.

To get practice at it I'm ordering colored ranger eggs when it's time to have more meaties.

Cheap practice. And hatching takes practice.

Back
Top Bottom