Is epoxy paint on a concrete floor safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beak, Jan 25, 2009.

1. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I am building a new coup this spring. I want to build it similar to a tool shed with a concrete floor. I figure future buyers of my house may have more use for it than a building that is just a coup. I'm thinking of a concrete floor and was wondering if epoxy paint would be safe on the floor?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

after it cures for 72 hours its fine.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It sure would. The epoxy will keep the concrete from absorbing anything making it much easier to clean and prevent if from absorbing odors as well.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh absolutely. Epoxy paint is excellent on concrete (tho not necessarily on the budget <g>) and is pretty completely nontoxic once cured.

WEAR AN APPROPRIATE RESPIRATOR MASK when painting it on though. You need to get one rated for chemical fumes. Really really, truly truly.

Pat, who inhaled a *lot* of epoxy paint fumes during grad school due to our lab being too cheap to pop for new canisters for the respirators, and believe me, you don't wanna do that [​IMG]

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:ya i forgot to stress that part lol,,,, ive inhaled enough epoxy fumes for a dozen life times [​IMG]
    not only a charcole filter, but latex gloves too,, and the temps need to be warm enough for it too..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by