Is Everyone Loving This Heat?

gamebirdboy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
East Tennessee
It's been in the 90's for weeks here and we haven't had a good rain for a few weeks either. The field was a dust bowl and my garden was dead, it just started raining!
big_smile.png
Now I can make some money mowing again. Who else hates this heat? I already lost a broody because of it, today seems cooler I hope it stays that way.

Our drought index is getting higher and higher! brush fires all over the place and my a/c running day and night
hit.gif
whenever we get a thunderstorm I collect water for my poor drooping garden and for our fish tanks as our city water has so much chlorine in it it kills anything arrrgh!

I think the last time it rained here it was when we had flooding in September. At least it feels that way. I've never seen it this brown this early in the year. Trees are even wilting. Our forecast for the next week is all over 100*.
sickbyc.gif

Is it October yet?

108 here today, and could still climb for a few hours. What's not to love?
sickbyc.gif
Totally kidding. No rain in sight, but about 5 minutes ago a huge dust devil made it's path through here. It was the chickens' first one...scared them
D.gif
until they realized all the bogie leaves it blew to them...
wee.gif
suddenly the heat didn't bother them anymore.

Hope everyone's animals are holding up ok. Gonna be a scorcher this year...meh, who am I kidding, it's a scorcher every year.
tongue.png

We were in deep winter until about 10 days ago here in northern California. Eight days ago, I was wearing layered clothing with tights underneath, long johns, and a turtleneck shirt. It is usually in the 90s here by late April/early May. No such banana this year, though.

It has been ungodly, unbearably cold to those of us here who are used to California's summers.

My own personal comfort aside (i.e., I detest the cold), it's so awful that nothing is growing. I mean, things grow, but it's not gonna get hot enough for anything to ripen on the vine. Just like last year. I don't love 100-degree heat, but I love the natural cycles that make it easy to produce food in California.

No such luck this year.

Expect prices to rise.

WE also had that run of hot days here in middle Tn. Finally cooled down this week and we have had some nice rain today. I have been watering my flowers and garden for two weeks. Lost several chicks and one broody from the heat. Makes you worry about whats in store for summer!

Back
Top Bottom