Is He A "Pure" Cuckoo Maran?

TBH, I wouldn't care about his breeding. If he behaves nicely, then he's "keeper," ... he's GORGEOUS!
yeah, I’m not too concerned about breeding because it’s mostly just me wanting to hatch chicks for myself. he’s a really nice boy, just not as “buddy buddy” as burt is ( my BR/RIR roo ). rex is gentle taking food out of my hands and will drop it on the ground for the hens even when they already had their share lol

He has leakage on his wings and shoulders that shouldn't be there.
His legs aren't feathered, and while that alone wouldn't discount him as a Cuckoo Marans, I'm assuming you bought him in America. American CM have feathered legs.
Black sex link cockerels are barred and often have a bit of leakage.
Yeah, he was bought in the US. i definitely had my suspicions he wasn’t 100% because of the iridescent feathers he has on his neck & at his tail. though, i didn’t know the American CMs have feathered legs. You learn something every day

knowing for sure that you can’t trust TSC or the hatchery they get their chicks from

When you order chicks directly from a hatchery, you have a higher chance of getting what you order. There are less opportunities to mix it up: list of chicks, chicks in box, box to you without being opened on the way.

i didn’t know the American CMs have feathered legs.

Not all of them do.

When I browse hatchery websites I find that "Marans" have clean legs, while "French Marans" have feathered legs.

So Marans that are in the USA but are called "French" are the ones that have feathered legs.

Not all of them do.

When I browse hatchery websites I find that "Marans" have clean legs, while "French Marans" have feathered legs.

So Marans that are in the USA but are called "French" are the ones that have feathered legs.
Interesting that they list them separately.

I was used to the clean-legged, coming
from the UK, but I've seen tons of feather-legged on here. Majority do seem to.
I feel I'm missing out. I like the foot floof.

To clarify, I wasn't saying the bird couldn't be a Marans just because his feet were clean, but that it's another thing that makes me think he isn't.

it’s fine, not really a big deal anyways other than knowing for sure that you can’t trust TSC or the hatchery they get their chicks from
They mean well, I'm sure, but not everyone is a "chicken person." There's also the issue of escapees. Chicks are notorious for going walkabout, and it's not always obvious which bin the culprit escaped from!

Back
Top Bottom