Is he just protecting chicks, or should I cook him?

I have a silkie roo that is no problem. Now, if I pick up one of the girls or a baby is screaming he will come running to see what is going on, but a firm "Ricky NO" and he stops and waits. I have to agree it is somewhat genetics. I got Ricky and a hen from the feed store. They were already full grown and I know they had been in a smallish cage for 3 months. (it took me that long before I could actually commit to "buying" a chicken!!) When I got them home I had to literally dump them out of the cage to come outside. I don't think they had ever been on grass before. The hen was scared stiff. It took her about 30 mins to move. Then she ran into a medium size stick on the ground and had no clue how to get around it. I had to go move the stick for her. We now have a mix herd running around and all of his sons have been just like him. I am in no way afraid of them or ever fear they would attack someone. I for one was scared to death of chickens. I actually couldn't breathe when I was around them. Because of this herd, I am much better off now.

Good Luck!

Quote:
We can't catch him! Even cornering him in the coop, he really hurts himself trying to get away from us. the last time we caught him, it took 3 adults and he came out with a bloody comb.

Just my experience for you...
I have Silkie roosters that cause no problem with me or my family. They will come investigate if I have a baby that is cheeping loud or a broody hissing at me because I'm checking the eggs, but all they do is watch and give me that growl noise with their heads caucked to the side. A while back I did have 1 silkie roo named "Ol' Blue". Now Blue got his bluff in on my 4 year old daughter early. He never once chased me or my husband, but found it amusing to corner my daughter. Well rest in peace Blue...

Anyway, my neighbors have wild fowl that run free, they are not good chicken owners. They always come to my house for water and some treats. Now the roo is very large and has Huge spurs
ep.gif
Even when his ladies have babies and they come up to my porch for water and treats and he has NEVER made a move towards me. Now these are chickens without a lot of human interaction. He has always been polite and stood back a few feet and just watched. I have even accidently dropped a bowl before that made a hug rucus and send baby peeps running and screaming and he never took a step towards me. So, I just wanted to share this with you so you can have examples to compare too. It can be a hard decision, and if you are willing to try to become the Alpha, I hope it works, if it doesn't, know when to say when. You don't have to put up with that.
wink.png
I'm not saying they have to be angels because they are there for protection and I want my boys to do that job well. I'm just saying they have to have some respect also.

Last edited:
Well. I think it is time. The following is information for those interested, but more importantly is my self talk so that I may see that it is, indeed, time to invite the poor chap to dinner.

Up until yesterday, it was just a quick flog of the back of a leg and off he ran. Like a coward's attack. He had done this to me a few times, my husband and then my young daughter. We started talking about doing him in, but I guess our hearts weren't really in it because he was still around to attack me yeaterday.

Now we do have little chicks and a momma chicken. He is definitely protecting them. It is when I approach them that he comes at me. I understand and I appreciate his efforts. He is a good protector of his little flock.

I have read all the posts about retraining a rooster. This rooster was hand raised, but even as a tiny chick, was always flighty, and avoided human contact. He has NEVER been a loveable chicken. He has always been impossible to catch.

I have 2 young children and we have a home we entertain in a lot. Our backyard is a sanctuary where the chickens add to the tranquility. Visitors love to come out to visit our chickens and enjoy "nature's prozac" with us. Kids love to feed treats and hold our chickens. The rooster has added to that with his crowing. He has a fairly quiet crow and we have grown to love the sound.

I have been more and more afraid of that rooster. I have taken to carrying a small rake around with me when I go out. I often fend him off with it, but yesterday, he caught me without it...

I had gone out to put them all back in the coop and carried a metal steaming pan which had kitchen scraps to lure them into the coop. I tossed the scraps in and started my call, "chick, chick, chick, chick" and here he came. He came close and started quietly pecking and clucking nervously. This behaviors always precedes an attack. I prepared myself with the metal pan in my hand. Sure enough, he came at me. As he lunged, I smacked him with the pan and away he rolled. He jumped up and came at me again. I wolluped him again and again and again with the metal pan. Each time, he continued to come at me. I was unable to get away from him and unable to get out of this struggle that I found myself in. I wanted to call for help, but the only people that were home were my two kids. I certainly didn't want to call them into this situation. I was hating this rooster at this point. the struggle went on for several minutes. I didn't know how I was going to get out of it. I did know that if one of my blows knocked him down for good, I was okay with that. Eventually I was able to put a bush between me and him, he came around the bush at me. Then I moved to another bush. Eventually, my distance from the babies satisfied him (though that was not what I was going for) and he backed off. At this point I was late getting off to where I was going, so I just left. I was shaken up and angry!

Now I understand cock fighting. This guy was in it to the death if he had to be. I was whacking him with a metal pan!!! The foolish bird!

This morning, I let the chickens out. I was sitting here in my family room where I can look out over my lovely back yard. I was noticing that the chickens were up on my patio. They are not allowed up there, and I usually go out and shoo them off gently when they come up. Now, I was afraid to. This was the moment that I realized he has to go. My tranquil sanctuary has been turned into a yard of harrassment. I don't want to go out there!

That bird is messing with my sanity. He is a menace.

While I respect his determination and appreciate his protection, I don't think it is worth it to keep him.

I have 5 more little roosters (4 weeks old) and perhaps there will be a sweet roo that will grow from that bunch. I had really wanted to see one of them take him out of power, I don't think I have the patience to wait for that.

The kids and I started raising chickens for fun. General Cotton, as he is called, is spoiling the fun. That, alone, is reason enough to rid our flock of him. We just don't need or want the headache.

We don't have the time or inclination to "rehabilitate" what amounts to a wild animal. I don't believe such a thing can really be done. The posts I have read indicate that it would need to be done again and again. I have children. I'd be a fool.

So, have I convinced myself???

YES it is time for him to GO!! And do not feel bad about it. You will find the Roo that finds into your life and home. If you don't want to eat him, stick him on Craigslist. That is what I do with mine and I just "know" they are going to loving homes where they can live happily ever after
wink.png

Sounds like rooster dumplings. My roo is now 5? 6? and had never once even tried to challenge any human, or even look in their eyes. There are good roos to be had so no need to put up with a potentially dangerous one.

He needs to go. It so easily could be one of your kids he fights "to the death" next time. Not that he'd kill your children, but he'd sure try, and they could be badly injured. Enjoy that coq au vin, I'd say.

Does this look like a good one? I have never cooked this, but General Cotton will be my first try. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/coq-au-vin-recipe/index.html
With all the marinating and the call for an older rooster, it should be a good recipe for him.
Ooh, now I am excited. I will update...

Will miss his crowing, though. I guess it will be only a short while before the little ones start.

Back
Top Bottom