Is her umbillicus okay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovelyducklings, Nov 28, 2015.

1. lovelyducklings

lovelyducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    @Miss Lydia she's doing a lot better now, one of her nostrils cleared up and she less tired and shaky. her umbilicus is smaller but still visible and not hidden like the others. every egg out of the batch expect one has issues and a lot of the eggs died right before hathing. so I believe I didn't clean the incubator fully. two have swollen eyes, and another two have curled feet [​IMG]

2. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    @Miss Lydia one of the ones with curled feet hatched like this around 5am[​IMG] but both had crook neck when they came out but it's gone now.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    You can make lil shoes for the ones with curled feet if you haven't already and the ones with swollen eyes use a warm saline rinse and gently wash their eyes with it or Veterycin spray from wounds and infections. Don't give up on them. It does sound like something was not quite right in the bator. Glad to hear this lil one is doing better.
    @casportpony knows alot about duckling problems at hatch lets see if she will offer some info on what to do in case of infections.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Bless their hearts , okay go here and look up chick shoes https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry if you do this right away you can get their feet normal in no time. also put some good poultry vitamins in their drinking water and by end of day start dropping tiny amounts right outside of their bill along opening I like Poultry Nutri drench for new hatchlings TSC carries it. For the shoes you can use stiff cardboard or plastci but make sure to wrap either with tape before placing under the lil ones feet then when wrapping with vet wrap be sure not to wrap too tight just snug enough to keep it in place. I don't know what to tell you about the bator They should be dry and fluffed before you take them out but if there is bacteria in there it's not so good leaving them in. I'm going to see if I can get @Lacrystol here too she has alot of experience also. Maybe @Orca Hopefully someone who has experience.

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Could be bacteria, but might also be that your temp and humidity were off.

Kathy

7. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    thank you guys! and one with the curled feet is unbelievably tired and can't even stand on its own two feet. his feet aren't curled, they're together and don't really open. I'll try and show you a video

8. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
  9. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    he was also born with a chunk of his beak missing, I noticed it when he first pipped [​IMG]

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OMG, what happened to that egg? Did someone step on it?? I best better read up....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by