Is her umbillicus okay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovelyducklings, Nov 28, 2015.

1. lovelyducklings

lovelyducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]

2. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    he shakes a lot as well and cannot support his head :(

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I am sorry but I am confused is this the baby that was in the egg that got dropped? and is struggling now?

4. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    never mind he confirmed it wasn't the one to be dropped. the one who's egg was bleeding is doing fine now

5. Miss Lydia

So have you moved this lil one into it's own little brooder to give it some time to gain strength? or what are you doing for it?

6. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    @Miss Lydia yes he's by himself, he seems happier that he can catch up on some sleep without being trampled :)

7. Miss Lydia

I am relieved to hear that. I hope it helps. Have you thought of hobbling his legs so he can keep them under him? I believe it's on the Poultry Pedia link I gave you where you can take a bandaide and bring their legs to normal position so they get use to them being there I am pretty sure it only takes a couple days of hobbling for it to straighten out. When did this duckling hatch? Just wondering if you could try it on a tiny bit of water with some vitamins mixed in to help get some strength into it.

8. Miss Lydia

@casportpony what do you think would be a good way to get the little ones legs in the right position? What have you used?

9. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    I'll try that :) I think he's gaining a bit more strength since he's been alone and able to rest well. and he hatched this morning at 5:00am (it's 7:22pm now)

10. Miss Lydia

That's right I Had forgotten. Be sure to read direction before hobbling. I'd try offering the ducklings some [tiny bit warm] water with vits tomorrow with a dropper or needle less syringe. if you drip it right along the bill where the top and bottom meet he'll probably open it's mouth just offer a small amount to start till it's able to hold it's head up and drink on it's own. The piece of bill missing is where it's nare is on the one side? forgot to add that is good news it's gaining a bit more strength.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by