Is Houdini part Spaulding?

autumnmfisher

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
North East, PA
his/her color looks a little like a Spaulding/Java in person and his crest is different. Here's some picts you can see his crest in. what do you think? the guy we got these from had no idea what they were, so its been a guessing game all along. now that they're older different traits are emerging. he/she has a couple crest feathers in the front that are normal, others are long skinny feathers. these are 5 month picts.

What a beauty,
I am housibg two peacocks that is three years old.one day I would love to get a peahen mixed with albino, I would love to see the baby's colors, the males are the India breed.
I cant wait, but I need to read up on taking the perfect care for them first.

I forgot to mention - he has a little yellow behind his eyes - another sign making me believe he is.
triing to find a good pict of this... but can't. you'll just have to believe me.

He may have some green blood in him but i would not call him a spalding.
I have several that have yellow on thier faces even my whites do it is normal, a spalding has a yellow patch that looks like it was painted on it is .

He may have some green blood in him but i would not call him a spalding.
I have several that have yellow on thier faces even my whites do it is normal, a spalding has a yellow patch that looks like it was painted on it is .
I thought all of the crosses were Spaldings, varying from low percentage to high percentage green? How much green do they need before they are a Spalding?

After I posted, I started looking for an answer. I saw what Feathersite said, going with that there would need to be one parent of each. I kept looking because I had seen reference to high or low percentage Spalding. I found a post from a year ago where deerman wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerman

Spalding are offsring of blue and green cross....even if 25% green ......10% and so on....Spalding are any bird with both ,no mater the %

so what about his crown? doesn't that show the difference? thats what caught my attention. i'm new to this so i'm only catching on now. and i thought if they had any green in them they were considered spauldings too. i'm a newbie tho. Just want to be sure of what we got here.

This is an avenue that I am trying to learn more about. Not that I want to breed it but that my new birds may have it and what I can expect because of it.

Like you, the person giving me the birds seems not to know much about them. They weren't his but his friend passed away and he is finding homes for them. So he just doesn't know anything. I suppose the original owner did not write anything down and kept his notes in his head.

Back
Top Bottom