Is it a prolapsed vent?

RustiK

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Gunning, nsw
Hi guys and girls, I have a pekin bantam about 7 months old. She is healthy now but when I got her she had the worst leg mites you’ve ever seen. She’s eating drinking and pooping. I was doing a check this morning and saw her vent was out a bit. By the time I took a picture it started going back in. I checked again 10 minutes later and it was back out. Any ideas?

9FCDA089-CBA6-4F39-A396-D70530C11DE1.jpeg
7CBDBDD8-1FAA-4889-BE6C-04FD34A154F7.jpeg

Hmm well it's a good thing that it's going back in on it's own. If it gets stuck out you can keep it lubricated with plain K jelly or coconut oil. Also, you could try some Preparation H on the area.

Try posting these pics and question on the Duck forum, lots of experts watch that thread and can help you out!

Okay thanks will do. just not too sure it will fix itself.

Hmm well it's a good thing that it's going back in on it's own. If it gets stuck out you can keep it lubricated with plain K jelly or coconut oil. Also, you could try some Preparation H on the area.

Try posting these pics and question on the Duck forum, lots of experts watch that thread and can help you out!
ks

@RustiK Is this a duck? The advise given will help if either duck or chicken. Hopefully she’ll eventually get it to stay in on her own but keep it moist so it doesn’t dry out. And watch her to make sure the reason for the prolapse isn’t because she’s having a hard time laying an egg.

Last edited:
Sorry it’s a Pekin bantam chicken. Okay so keep it moist and see if it goes back in?

@RustiK Is this a duck? The advise given will help is either duck or chicken. Hopefully she’ll eventually get it to stay in on her own but keep it moist so it doesn’t dry out. And watch her to make sure the reason for the prolapse isn’t because she’s having a hard time laying an egg.[/QUOT

did you check to make sure she doesn't have an egg stuck?

sometimes they do that and a warm Epsom salt soak for 10-15 minutes then a lubricant will help her pass a stuck egg.

How are her poops? if she's plugged by constipation will not allow the egg to pass either, if that is the problem give her a bit of coconut oil to eat, if that doesn't help a stool softener without laxative can be given.

Back
Top Bottom