Is It A Swedish? Or Maybe Cuyuga?

poultrycrazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
:)
Ok o i have a duck and she is a blue splash color and i am dying to knowwhat she is and her quality. Tell the truth! i can take criticisom (sorry for the spelling) pretty well and so can she!
Here she is !!!
(its the fat blue one!)
66311_poultry_344.jpg

When she waas a little younger
66311_matts_133.jpg

Thank you, she has a nice lacing around her feathers, anyone now the quality of her? And what would te offspring look like if i bred her to the mallard drake

I bred my blue call to my mallard drake on accident last year. The ducklings were all blue fawn. The hen wasn't all blue, she was blue and white, but you'd think the blue gene would do the same thing to the mallard pattern either way. They ended up very pretty.

She does look most like a Blue Cayuga. She is probably a mix that came out like that or a production quality Blue Runner that has lost its' Runner type after a few generations (someone else here had one that looked very similar and they quickly lose type in subsequent generations in it's not selected for). Anyway, it is a pretty easy color to get. I would probably call her a Blue Cayuga.

If you breed her to a Mallard drake, in theory you should get 50% Blues and 50% Black. You should really not get Blue Fawn because of the extended Black. Since you are crossing wild-type though to an extended Black based color, there will likely be some amount of the wild pattern showing through (although, generally not enough to really look like Blue Fawn). Some sources say Black is dominant, but it really does not appear to be. It darkens the feathers to mostly Black, but not entirely, hence some darkened Mallard pattern will show through. The Blue gene then will be inherited by 50% of the offspring and 50% won't get it, so basically you will end up with 50% Blacks and 50% Blues, some of which will have poor quality color from being only heterozygous extended Black (E/e).

Back
Top Bottom