Is it alive?

I have read about keeping it lower too. So did you buy the extra fan for yours? What temp do you set it to? How do you increase humidity when you need to? Mine doesn’t want to increase easily.
I cannot stress how important it is to calibrate your thermometers because thermometers are known to be wrong/being off one or two degrees is a huge amount when it comes to incubating eggs.

I do not use a fan.

When I need to increase my humidity I just open the lid and pour a little bit of water in.

I actually just hatched some eggs two days ago, all hatched, at only 38% humidity.

Thank you guys all for your replies. I know it’s just 1 egg and I’m sure you all went through trials to get it right, here I am hoping to get it perfect first time out the gate. I’m not sure what to do from here. Leave it and hope for a miracle? Maybe start a hole and see if anything happens (I know a lot of people say don’t assist, but I mean if it’s not viable anyways I don’t see much harm in that) maybe just crack it and see what went wrong. I don’t know.

Thank you guys all for your replies. I know it’s just 1 egg and I’m sure you all went through trials to get it right, here I am hoping to get it perfect first time out the gate. I’m not sure what to do from here. Leave it and hope for a miracle? Maybe start a hole and see if anything happens (I know a lot of people say don’t assist, but I mean if it’s not viable anyways I don’t see much harm in that) maybe just crack it and see what went wrong. I don’t know.
The last thing you want to do is try and open it .. especially since you are not 100% sure what day it's on.

There's no harm in leaving it infor a couple of more days just to be sure.

I open all eggs after I am sure they have quit.
It's not going to tell you why the egg died but you may get a better idea of what day it died on...but again It will be hard to guess since you're not sure the age of the egg.

I've learned from sad experience that when a hen pushes an egg out of the nest, even though the embryo is viable, there's a good reason. Usually it's because it has a defect of some kind, and when I've tried to hatch it out or put it back under her it either dies in the shell or dies shortly thereafter.

I've learned from sad experience that when a hen pushes an egg out of the nest, even though the embryo is viable, there's a good reason. Usually it's because it has a defect of some kind, and when I've tried to hatch it out or put it back under her it either dies in the shell or dies shortly thereafter.
That makes sense, but that’s not exactly what happened. She sat for over 21 days. This particular egg snuck under after she started so when nothing hatched she finally gave up, but this one was just behind. It got mixed it several days after you began sitting. I think the lesson to be learned is moved the broody hen away from the nesting boxes.

Yep. Always move the hen. If, however, that isn't possible due to space or whatever, mark and date the eggs. I use a red felt tipped marker as it's easy to see at night with a flashlight. Good luck with your next batch.

This is the video from last night... maybe I’m seeing things but maybe not. I see the air cell like twitch. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense except remember the chick is pushed against it on the other side... so I am thinking if it moved it might make it appear to move on this side.

Back
Top Bottom