Is it alive?

This is the video from last night... maybe I’m seeing things but maybe not. I see the air cell like twitch. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense except remember the chick is pushed against it on the other side... so I am thinking if it moved it might make it appear to move on this side.
I don’t even think you can see it now that it’s uploaded. I guess I’ll just wait.

I agree it looks like it died. I think it was wishful thinking. I was pretty upset that I left it. I know it’s just one egg, but everyone said it wouldn’t hatch and I was crazy, then we saw it move the first time and my whole family was rooting for it to hatch, now I’m just bummed out that it didn’t work. Sometimes you just want the awesome story you know? Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it. Guess I’ll have to collect some more to hatch!

Please please learn your incubator before you set more eggs.

calibrate a thermometer and move it around in your incubator....better yet get a couple more thermometers so you can see where your hot and cool spots are at a glance.

Please please learn your incubator before you set more eggs.

calibrate a thermometer and move it around in your incubator....better yet get a couple more thermometers so you can see where your hot and cool spots are at a glance.
Oh I will, would have done that to begin with if this hadn’t been an abandoned egg situation.

whole family was rooting for it to hatch, now I’m just bummed out that it didn’t work.
Single chicks are never good... your family got lucky... and your next hatch experience will be much different!

Aside from learning YOUR bator at your location, get some good hatch knowledge under your belt. A couple good links to review...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

Incubation guide

Don't forget the number one issue with incubating... extra cockerels. Have a plan up front. Expecting them all to find homes where they won;t be eaten is not usually doable. Some folks do keep stag pens where the boys all tolerate each other well, including me. My boys only stay long enough to grow out for eating or breeding as I cannot afford to feed an endless amount of freeloading mouths, but all are ready to mate the ladies much earlier than they are ready to go to freezer camp.
Happy future hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

I know single chicks aren’t good by themselves but I actually had some fuzzy butts waiting for this one. I literally bought fuzzy butts just in case it hatched I didn’t want it to be alone. I will review the resources you provided. Thank you. Yes, having a plan for the Boys is a good point. I was crossing my fingers this was a girl. Lol

Warning Graphic pictures....

I went ahead and slowly opened the egg, I was about 98% certain it had died. I couldn’t stomach fully unfolding it. But it was definitely dead. Here are some pictures. As I have never opened an egg before it sure was interesting but I don’t know that I can tell what happened.
8578007D-6E76-40B7-B042-BC0FFC1D0483.jpeg
457F8DC6-A655-4B4D-8F85-0146AA1AC9A3.jpeg
88AFC2A6-DAA4-4356-9010-B3397D613846.jpeg
AB5DADFD-1E19-4D23-8D3A-43DCF4B97D67.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom