Is it bad to Streighten your Hair?

Quote:
I have to get my hair thinned every 6 weeks or even the hair stylist cant get it to straight for more then an hour!.. my hair spiral curls and the curls are the diameter of a large banana so they dont even look nice... they look like frizz.. all the time...

Using heating appliances on your hair definitely damages it, it's not a myth. I'm amazed at so many people saying it's a myth. It won't "make your hair fall out" however, unless you are pulling too hard or getting your hair tangled in it, but it definitely damages it. I can tell you from many years of styling my own hair, that the years that I used a straighter or a curling iron too much, that my hair got dry and brittle and would break easily. The years I went more natural and didn't use heat appliances, it was much healthier. Part of the damage also happens from catching your hair in the styling tool, in addition to the heat factor. If this hasn't happened to others, it's because they are blessed with resilient strong hair, but it certainly can happen.

The big myth about hair is when you see shampoos and conditioners boasting "vitamins". That's ridiculous, because hair is dead and cannot benefit from vitamins, not to mention it's topically applied and then rinsed off. It would be like rubbing a vitamin on your body and throwing it away and expecting health benefits.

One thing that does help though, back to the straightener, is to use a heat shield spray, or thermal spray, to help protect the hair. It basically works by letting the hot iron burn through that before it burns your hair. But yes, you can damage your hair using any hot appliances, including a blow dryer on the hot setting.

Quote:
To this point, damaged hair actually performs better than non-damaged hair, which is why people misunderstand that. Everytime I dye my hair it is SOOO much more manageable, and then straightening it makes it even more so. When it grows out it is relentless!!!!!

Quote:
To this point, damaged hair actually performs better than non-damaged hair, which is why people misunderstand that. Everytime I dye my hair it is SOOO much more manageable, and then straightening it makes it even more so. When it grows out it is relentless!!!!!

This is true. Damaged hair IS easier to style. I find that I have to pick one, leave it long and curly and natural, or straighten it even though it's more damaged that way. Once it's long and healthy I find it's almost impossible to style so then I HAVE to go with a natural look.

Quote:

This is true. Damaged hair IS easier to style. I find that I have to pick one, leave it long and curly and natural, or straighten it even though it's more damaged that way. Once it's long and healthy I find it's almost impossible to style so then I HAVE to go with a natural look.

You and I have the same kind of hair. Naturally curly, more wavy, fine hair. If I can blow dry it, which takes forever and a month, I am good for three days. If I let it dry naturally, I resemble Janis Joplin. And that is because mine is shorter than yours.

Quote:
iwas saying that hair falling out is a myth and that the hair actually breaks

Yep, I knew what you meant; I wasn't referring to your comment.
smile.png

Last edited:
if you cut your hair every few months it won't matter if you damage it with heat. but if you want long hair that is thick and not stingy looking then you NEVER use heat styling

people ask how my waist length hair remains full, thick, and flows well with little tangling, its because I do certain things.

I shampoo only the top of my hair and condition the ends thoroughly. I use a conditioning de-tangling spray when I brush (never at the roots and avoid oil based sprays) to prevent breakage when brushing.

I never heat style and never use a blow dryer. I sleep on a satin pillow (it actually works by reducing friction) I only wash my hear once every two to four days, depending on how greasy it is (more if I get ultra sweaty, of run into something foul) I brush carefully, starting from the bottom and working up. I also put leave in conditioner on my ends every day.

because my hair is so heavy, I try to avoid pony tails which stress the roots and increase the risk of hair loss. instead I keep them in loose braids or loose buns , or specialized clips for extra thick hair.

I also air dry my hair, I don't twist it up in a towel which encouraged breakage, and I don't "tussle" my hair with a towel. Instead I carefully squeeze it with the towel. I don't brush my hair when wet either,unless I lightly comb out the top to prevent frizz.

also lots of vitamins. While hair is dead, how thick and smooth it comes out depends on the proper nutrition you get, because it does take nutrients for you body to build hair. Proper nutrition will also strengthen your nails.

I have very curly hair, spirals about the diameter of a Sharpie. Ends are around my fingertips curly. I do similar care as Kristy, only way more conditioner and no shampoo.

Back
Top Bottom