Is it common fo roosters to mate, even if the hens dont want it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 14, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    My rooster will mount my hens on suprise and they will scream. I mean there 1-3 years old. So Is it common for them to just hope on without the hens promission?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Um....yes.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes, unfortunately.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    They have the sneak attack mastered.

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    ok thanks

6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Romance is a lost art in the chicken yard! There is NO wooing attall... [​IMG] Most roosters are uncouth pullet predators and hen hoppers!!

7. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Growing up, we had too many roosters and they tended to gang up on the ladies, making it look like a gang attack... I thought that was the normal behavior for chickens. While that may still be a "normal" part of chicken behavior, I have found since owning my own chickens that not every breed tends to act so aggressive with their hens. My Andalusians take more time "romancing" the hens than my Orpington roos did, for example. Also, the older more experienced roos often have a "softer" touch than a younger rooster. The more roosters you have in the flock, the more competitive they are and the more aggressive they tend to act. That's been my experience, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    When I was a teen the Roos on our farm had no interest in the hens until I showed up with a date. Then it was barnyard orgy while I tried to divert my dates attention to something, anything, else.
    Did this happened to any of you other guys or was it just me?

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I got rid of a roo recently that thought he was so slick....he would call the hens for food ( although there really was none) then he'd try to mount them if they got close....if he failed...he would chase them down and try again. Good thing my top roo was always on the look out! He'd go barreling over and put a stop to that nonsense! [​IMG] He would also stand outside the pop door in the evening,waiting for hens to try to go in for the night...and Wham! My top roo was ALWAYS busy when the little randy fellow was here! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Lust not love reigns in the chicken yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by